13 = unlucky number

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: 13 = unlucky number
By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I need to narrow down the list of colleges to which I am going to apply. I do not want suggestions for additional colleges to add.

Background info:
-3.93 GPA
-class rank: 16/448
-1450 SAT I (taking SAT II's in October)
-long term commitment to a few extracurriculars

I'm not sure what I want to major in, but it will probably be either sociology, psychology, philosophy, or economics. I may also want to go to law school after college, if that makes any difference.

(*** indicates the colleges to which I will definitely apply)

List:
-Allegheny College
-College of Wooster
-Franklin & Marshall College
-Gettysburg College ***
-Hamilton College
-Knox College
-Ohio Northern University
-St. Lawrence University ***
-Union College (IL) ***
-University of Richmond
-Washington & Jefferson College
-Washington & Lee University
-Wheaton College (IL)

Which colleges should I take off my list? 13 is too many..

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

(edit: Wheaton College (IL)*** is another college to which I will definitely apply.)

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Can anyone help me narrow down my list? Please?

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Respectfully, with your stats you will get into every college you've applied to. I assume you're not interested in reach schools--because all your choices are safeties.
That's definitely a way to proceed without the nailbiting waiting for the acceptance letters!

By Rocksolid4 (Rocksolid4) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Washington and Lee, and Hamilton should stay

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Your stats are way too good for those colleges. Why don't you apply to some other great colleges in the South.

I'd say you are a match for Duke and Johns Hopkins. Vanderbilt and Chapel Hill are low-matches.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

yeah, why are you selling yourself so short, you can get great aid/ scholarships from much better schools! YOur list makes no sense to me...most of these are major safeties! W&L and Hamilton the exceptions...you'll still get in though as a match-safety

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

Delete Washington & Jefferson, University of Richmond, Ohio Northern University and St. Lawrence University.

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

guys, its not selling yourself short to not apply to Duke and johns hopkins, everyone keeps telling me to do it because i have a 1490 on my sats, do you not understand equal education experiences are availabe elsewhere in the nation at smaller schools with better merit based scholarships? If you apply to a school where you're on the high end, you're likely to be the •••• - get scholarship money, end up with a high gpa and high class rank and end up at a great graduate school. Going to Duke, if your family makes over 150,000 a year like mine, you'll get 0 financial aide, you will be middle of the pack most likely and while you'll have as solid of an education as such schools as he's applying, he'll be in 160,000 dollars of debt. It's not worth it just to feel good about yourself because you have a high ranked US news school - there's many great undergraduates with much better prices, as personal teachers and without the ridiculous price tag. He didn't want other colleges added, help him narrow them down

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

not everyone on cc, even those with great stats are obsesssed with the top 25, he is comfortable at the schools he wants to attend, so maybe you think it's selling yourself short, but if you like the schools you're applying to, then it doesn't matter what caliber they are

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Wheaton is widely noted as very religious and conservative, especially socially (i.e. no dancing!!) If that is your type of place, great, but it Hamilmay seem a bit stifling to many.

Ohio Northern isn't well regarded outside of engineering, even in Ohio! Drop it. Plus, not a very high caliber student body, you may get bored.

Hamilton and Washington and Lee are must keeps.

I know you don't want more colleges, but Emory gives out terrific merit aid.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

stop saying "he" the op is a girl.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

"I'd say you are a match for Duke and Johns Hopkins. Vanderbilt and Chapel Hill are low-matches."
...um....are you high? duke a match? i dont think thats true for almost anyone. they also dont care to go there anyway.

By Wdlynn (Wdlynn) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

your stats are close to mine and I received a half-tuition merit scholarship to Washington and Lee. Definitely look into applying to the George Washington Scholarship Competition at W&L, it could save you some major cash.

and in my opinion W&L should be on your definite apply list, but I'm a little biased.

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

delete one of the crappy colleges and put in rice: good school, good merit aid

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Dg5052 + Slipper2002: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was just worried - after reading all of the fluke rejections posted about on this board - that I would end up not getting in anywhere. (Or would end up getting in somewhere, and having to pay the full 35K per year).

Rocksolid04: W&L and Hamilton.. are staying, although I'm not sure if either will give much merit aid.

DeferredDude: I'm not a big fan of the South; Virginia is the farthest south that I'm willing to go. And also, I'm trying to narrow down my list.. no more time for new schools. Thanks for the input though.

Reidmc: W&J and ONU are getting deleted. May I ask why you recommended to delete St. Lawrence and U Richmond?

Benndamann33 + Celebrian23: Thanks for helping to explain the rationale in selecting the colleges that I have selected. My parents make too much money to qualify me for need-based aid, so merit-aid is VERY important.

Slipper2002: ONU is now dropped, thanks to your input. As for Wheaton, I am one of those religious, conservative people, so I think the social environment would suit me well.

Kousuke: Thanks for the input. I do agree that Duke isn't a match.

Wdlynn: Wow, congrats on that scholarship. Definitely an encouraging story.. thanks for helping W&L stay on my list.

Jerome12345: I will be deleting a few of the "crappy" colleges.. but - as nice as Rice sounds - I don't want to add more colleges to my list.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I have eerily similar stats and was strongly recommended by an interviewer at W&L to apply by Dec. 15th to be part of the GW Merit Scholarship program. Admittedly, I don't know your SAT I breakdown, but mine is heavily skewed toward verbal over math, and when asked, I informed the interviewer that my math score was very likely to come up by around fifty points. Also, of course, you're going to have to nail the SAT II tests, but I'm sure you'll do fine. If it matters, I got the recommendation to try for merit aid when the interviewer saw I had a 650/800/800 set of tests.

I clearly don't have much to add other than encouragement to apply to W&L with me in the fall. :)

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Wow, congrats on the SAT II scores! Which subject tests did you take?

Thanks for the encouragement to apply, and also for the hope of admission and a possible scholarship (::crosses fingers::).

Good luck with your applications.. hopefully we'll both get in. Btw, your profile says that you're from MD too; where in MD do you live?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Your list looks fine to me. You will probably scoop up some nice merit awards at some of these schools. You can peel all of the colleges off of the list that are not your * schools and still be in good shape. I suggest you do that and then just add in a couple more schools that have the juiciest scholarships out there.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

Saturnine - I flagged those four schools for deletion as I think you have better schools on your list and you will get into those better schools. And some of them appear to have more merit aid available than either Richmond or St. Lawrence. That said, you can certainly make a case for keeping one or both of those schools on your app list if your #1 goal is to maximize your chances for merit aid awards.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

Saturnine, it was my pleasure to offer the encouragement! I took writing, American history and Spanish. The 650 was in Spanish.

I live in the eastern half of Maryland, on the peninsula. The place that I'm closest to with more than 1,000 people is Salisbury, but I'm a little east of it. In between Salisbury and Ocean City, actually. How about you? I realize most in the state are from Baltimore or the Baltimore-Washington metro area, but it's cool either way. MD kids are like #2 in population at W&L I think, substantially behind VA and right in front of CA, NY and TX.

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Jamimom: Thank you for the input. I am hesitant to add more schools to my list, this late in the game. Also, what final number of schools do you recommend I apply to?

ReidMC: Thanks for responding. Getting merit aid certainly isn't my #1 goal, but it is a factor.

Willywonka: As you probably could have guessed, I live about an hour away from Baltimore (in Harford County, on the PA line). Hm.. learning that MD already has a lot of students at W&L is almost discouraging (although not surprising)... so much for being from an under-represented area. Either way, I really hope we get in.

By Stephenpmi (Stephenpmi) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

Have you looked at Grove City and Messiah (both in PA)? Grove is an unbelieveable bargain (13k sticker--including room, board and laptop)...and Messiah is a rising star. I thought I'd ask--because many of the people I know who apply at Wheaton end up applying at these colleges as well.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

I would go to a library, Borders or Barnes and Nobles and look at the big, fat USN&WR Ultimate guide. I would see what the merit and financial award situation is for each of the schools you like. For the asteriked schools, leave them on your list, as they are schools that have struck your fancy. But you should be aware of things like Union is not need blind, though it provides close to 100% of demonstrated need to its accepted students, and that they have very little if any merit awards. St Lawrence is also not need blind, does not offer as generous awards for need but has much more in the way of merit awards. W&L is probably your prime pick and it does have some nice merit awards as well but they are very selective in who gets them. You could probably get a full ride at W&J if you show strong demonstrated interest. This sort of info can be important in your strategy. I would pick maybe two or three schools either on your list or you might find substitutes that have some juicy merit figures (Denison comes to mind, for example) and you will be done. 6-8 colleges is just fine unless you absolutely need financial aid. In that case you need to get to work to figure what you can expect in the way of an EFC and also add a true financial safety, usually a local state school so that if you do not get the money you need you still have somewhere you can go.

By Saturnine05 (Saturnine05) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Stephenpmi: I have strongly considered Grove City, but the student:faculty ratio of 18:1 really turned me off. Otherwise, GCC would be on my list.

Jamimom: Thanks for all of the help. I know that I won't qualify for need-based aid, so that isn't a factor. Merit aid would be very helpful, although not really necessary.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page