Do They Have A Chance At 'Gettting in'??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Do They Have A Chance At 'Gettting in'??
By Jl87d (Jl87d) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:53 am: Edit

Do home schooled, and distance learning kids have a chance at getting accepted(given gpa, test, and ec's are good) when compared to traditional High School grads?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:20 am: Edit

Sure. I have friends who were homeschooled who got accepted into elite universities. They had stellar scores on APs, SATs and SAT IIs. They also had great essays and awesome ECs and recs from respected and reliable sources. But it is certainly possible.

By Anovice (Anovice) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:16 am: Edit

I was homeschooled/private schooled up until 9th grade. I know many kids who continued their high school education via home schooling and they have had mixed results. Seemed like many were lacking extracurriculars even though they had decent standarized test scores. Most got into to their 2nd or third choice school but a few of them have dropped out because of social differences. I don't want to make a generalization, but many homeschooled kids don't have the real world skills to make it at a big university(not academicly, but socially). The ones that I know that dropped out were very religious and were not able to deal with the discrimination when they 'wore their religion on their sleeve'. If you have the same credentials, extracurriculars, test scores, etc... and are homeschooled, it seems that you need something a little more to get in.

.... just my experience.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

I was also homeschooled until 9th grade, but I had a much different experience than Anovice. All the homeschooled kids from my homeschool group were involved in many extracurricular activities, much more so than the kids I went to high school with. The more popular ones were piano, swimming, and community service. Many of them had great test scores and after proper preparation for the application process, got into their first choice of school. They were adept socially because they weren't locked in the house, so to speak, but were involved in many different programs and after-school jobs. I regret I didn't "homeschool all the way".

I don't think the OP has to "prove" anything other than being a great applicant. Schools like Columbia require 5 SAT II's for homeschoolers, but it is certainly doable. Extracurricular involvement is also something they like to see in homeschoolers. If you are offered an interview, leap at the opportunity to "show off your stuff".

Ultimately the road is harder, because some schools like to set road blocks in front of homeschooled kids. But as more and more children are homeschooled, they are being forced to reevaluate long-held notions about their abilities and skill level.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page