Colleges for kids with learning issues

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Colleges for kids with learning issues
By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

I am inquiring for a friend whose daughter is currently a junior--she has learning issues and has been periodically tutored in the past. She is a hard worker and has to study twice as hard as other kids, but she's willing to do it.

She is very artistic AND she likes math--do all you experts have any suggestions for a school which will provide accommodations/assistance if she needs it, as well as a creative atmosphere--but with structure?

A tall order, I know! And she would prefer an urban setting if at all possible. Thanks in advance---

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

she needs a 504 plan to carry her to college and beyond. Does she have a diagnosis? Colleges can be very accomodating expecially if she is comfortable advocating for herself.

There is the K & W guide for colleges with learning differences, I would also check out Loren Popes books for students who need something besides the very most competitve schools

http://www.ctclonline.com/

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit

bump

By Mom102 (Mom102) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

There is a book that you can buy in bookstores that deals with colleges for learning disabled kids. We have such a child.

After searching many schools, we settled on Fairleigh Dickenson in NJ. They have a terrific learning center that gives supported tutoring for most courses for NO charge.You have to apply to both the university and to the learning center for admission. Tutors are either faculity or full-time trained professionals who are familiar with most courses.

I think that they give 4 supports per semister for freshman year, 3 supports for sophomore, 2 for junior and one for senior. Thus, they try to wean the kids off the supported tutoring.

They also have tutoring centers in most subjects, manned by students that can be used by anyone.

They also give almost any accomodation that you can think of such as extra time for exams, a quiet area for exams etc.

Another recommended school would be Adelphi University in NY.

Good luck.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

The following pamphlet published by the Office for Civil Rights, US Department of Education, is a must read for students with disabilities planning to attend college and their parents. If you have any questions, post them and I'll try and answer.

"Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education:
Know Your Rights and Responsibilities"

http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Mom102, what is the name of the book? Thanks so much for responding.

By Mom102 (Mom102) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

It's Peterson's "Colleges With Programs For Students With Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit Disorders."

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

My daughter has Add/learning disabilities. She is at a school that is not known for it's attention to such issues( Reed college), but it has been very helpful. She has had tutoring, extra office hours, support groups, an organizational coach she met with once a week, so I would recommend that she look at schools in these guidebooks but also at others as well

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page