College list suggestions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: College list suggestions?
By Laurel05 (Laurel05) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Going to TJ in Virginia (competitive sci & tech school), Asian female.

I'm definitely applying to Duke, UVA, and William and Mary. Likely a biology major, psychology minor or something along those lines.

I'm thinking about Yale, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Washington U. in St. Louis, Princeton, Cornell, UPenn, Swarthmore, Northwestern, U Chicago; James Madison or VA Tech as safeties(? I need more). Really need to visit a bunch of these, but I only have so much time.

Any advice narrowing down the list or additional school suggestions?

4.0 GPA (UW), something like 4.08 (W), no rankings.
Seven APs by the end of senior year, 5's so far on the four exams I've taken. I don't have the most challenging schedule at my school, but it's probably at least above average.
1590 SATI (800 M, 790 V), SATIIs: Biology M 800, Math IIC 790, Writing 740.
228 PSAT, so National Semi-Finalist for sure, probably Finalist.

Piano 10 years
Class Council (chaired an event last year)
Literary magazine
Jazz/Hip-hop Dance
Elementary School Tutor
NHS (doesn't really mean much here)
Number of service hours
Summer internship at Catholic U - Biology lab
Vietnamese school teacher's assistant (3 summers)

First place @ Maryland Brain Bee
7th International Brain Bee
9th Place National French Exam
3 Superior, 1 Circle Award w/ National Guild Auditions (piano)
USA Biology Olympiad Semi-finalist
Academic Letters (3.8+ GPA)

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

You have very good chances at the toughest admits on your list: Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Swarthmore . . .and as for the rest, I can't imagine you doing any worse than 9 out of 10.

I would only leave Va Tech and/or James Madison on your list if you really like the schools. . .I don't believe you need them as safeties. I couldn't recommend dropping any others for academic reasons, but could see you dropping one or two based on the social/campus environment(s). I'd investigate that subject via guidebooks and visits.

If I were adding to this list (after dropping 3-4 for the reasons above), I'd think about adding 2 or so LACs just below the selectivity of Swarthmore. Several come to mind for your interests, including Carleton, Haverford, Wesleyan, Smith and Davidson.

By Laurel05 (Laurel05) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

any more suggestions?

By Laurel05 (Laurel05) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page