Texas CCs for intl. student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Texas CCs for intl. student
By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Hey ppl,

Iím an intl. student. Planning to study in TX. Just wanted info about the colleges there. Can you suggest some good colleges there with HONORS PROGRAMS and TRANSFER AGREEMENTS with good universities? Iíve already checked out Austin CC (which is comparatively expensive) and Houston CC system (ppl say itís a very Ďbusyí city) so i'm not so keen on going to these two places.

I scored 660 on TOEFL, 530/720 on SAT and a hi-school scored 75% on my tests on avg(which equals a GPA of 3.something i think).

so please recommend me a few good ccs with good transfer agreements and honors program. i plan to major in mecanical engineering or some other engineering.

thanks for the info.

-Vyasan

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Go to California and apply to a CC there. You'd be better off. Better weather, and better contractual agreements. ;)

As for Texas, I don't quite know.

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:53 am: Edit

i looked at california and found out that it's a lot more expensive. i thought texas would be cheaper.

anyway, if i did choose to go to CS which college should i try for?

By 007 (007) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:09 am: Edit

University of Texas at Austin, and Rice University are the best universities in Texas

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

but aren't those two too difficult to get into. i scored 75/100 on all of my high-school tests on an average (so i don't even know my GPA).
i have not taken my SAT 2 tests yet. and i have no extracurricular activities.

so i thought that an easier way to get into a good univ. such as UT austin, is to get into a community college in TX. take an honors program get a better GPA. build on my Extra Curriculars and then transfer after the 1st year.

By 007 (007) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

if ur studying in a CBSE school, then i think ur 75 corresponds to B+ Average, so UT AUSTIN is possible.

Dont give up hope, its not THAT dificult

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

i didn't pass out from a CBSE school. i passed out from a State Board School where a 75 corresponds to a 70 in CBSE.
so is a better decision to get into a community college and then transfer to a 4-yr good university or should i still try at a 4-yr?
what are the other good places in USA o study after texas and california?

By 007 (007) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:14 am: Edit

You should try for a 4yr, other good places to study:

Reaches:
-> University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
-> Gerogia Tech
-> University of Texas at Austin

Matches:
-> Purdue Univ Ė West Lafayette
-> Penn State University
-> Texas A&M University
-> Virginia tech

Safeties:
-> Ohio State University
-> Michigan State University

good luck, and remember try to get your school head to mention only the grades on your transcript, dont write ur scores on a scale of 100

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:05 am: Edit

thanks for the recommendations 007.

are you sure i have a chance to get into OHIO St.Univ? i like got just 75/100 which is a B+. i tot one needed like say As and As to get into those universities. plus i have no ECs and no SAT 2 scores.

will it help if i retake the SAT and get 1500? or do the big universities pay more attention to high school performance?

*and remember try to get your school head to mention only the grades on your transcript, dont write ur scores on a scale of 100*
i didn't quite get that. i thought the admission folks judge us by our progress report cards and are familiar with the different grading systems in different countries so all i have to do is send my hi'school progress report without the GPA and stuff.

thanks a lot for the info and which college are you in or trying for?

By 007 (007) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:13 am: Edit

*and remember try to get your school head to mention only the grades on your transcript, dont write ur scores on a scale of 100*

I said that coz B's with some A's looks better than a 75, and you have to get an official transcript from ur school head, you cant send ur progress report photocopies.

If you retake your SAT and score 1400+, then nearly all the schools on the list will be within your reach. And SAT II's are not required for any of the schools on that list. So no need to take them. just use the 10 Real SAT's and the Princeton review book, and you'll do fine.

Write good essays, dont be monotonous in them. And the SAT's ARE more imp for internationals, so def try to bump that score to about 1400.

good luck

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page