Whats wrong with us?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Whats wrong with us?
By Indcat (Indcat) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Why do we give SATs so much importance?
Why do we think GPAs should be sky high?
Why do we think that everybody has good Recs and essays?
Why?
We are wrong.Letters of recommendation are important.They let the application staff know how we really are.They let them know if a 1200 student is capable of getting a 1500 or if a 1500er is really good for nothing.Theyre imporatnt.
But nothing compared to the essay . The most under-rated document in the process . Its not Important . Its DAMN important . The Essay shows ur human side . It shows ur dreams and aspirations , why u wnt to enter college.
90% of the people think they have a great essay . 9 % may have a good one.
When people say there 1600 Asian and rejected from Harvard it means that they are not human.
they have no sense of humuor.
They have learnt nothing from life.
They have no social life.
They have no dreams.
They are selfish.
Thats why theyre rejected
Because there 1600ers and think their the damn best in the world . Well frankly tell me how many millionaires are 1600ers.....huh?
No idea
probably 3.
College application is not automatic . You must be pleasing . You must ber humvble . u must br honest..........
People like that......
And Success more or less is determined by the other guy....so please him

God i feel like Jerry Maguire.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

its "they're" not "their" or "there" you made that mistake a lot and it was really annoying me. also, there are a lot more millionaires in this world than you think. and since when was making 300,000 a year and not being a millionaire comprable to making 50,000 a year? you're making a cut off of a million which is a bad idea. i would think a group including everyone making over 100,000 is much better than one with one person making 1 million, and everyone else 50,000.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I hope you realize the same post, with obviously different phrasing and structure, pops up about twice a month on the boards. It's quite hackneyed, but I'm sure your intentions are good.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

i strongly believe in what you say indcat, i for one don't stress about my stats, i rather be at a school that accepts me for my personality!
the most successful people in life make it through drive and passion not through stats and what not.

i personally hate it when someone asks what are my chances and say the school average sat is 1350, and the person asking has a 1300 or 1280, and then people reply saying oh it's a reach oh, to bump up their SAT's, i mean for gosh sakes for an average you have to have people lower than 1350 and someone higher to make the average

and any top 30 school is a reach for everyone no matter how high your stats are becaues, the top 30's look for character if you hadn't notice!

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

kousuke are you a 1600 rejectee with no life that prefers to point out grammer mistakes because they have nothing else to do?

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

"who" prefers... "he has" nothing else to do... hehe I kill myself.....

By Ahms (Ahms) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

If you make the SAT's a big part of your life and take it seriously you'll score high (or maybe if you're extermely gifted in taking tests :) ). Alot of people really don't care though, they just take it

By Sbhopeful (Sbhopeful) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Kk19131:

Actually, you are assuming the poster is male. "who" prefers is correct but it should also be "you have" nothing else to do. Also it's "grammar" not "grammer." Then again, this gets to the root of this post: does all of this really matter in the scheme of things?

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

"Actually, you are assuming the poster is male."

-Yes, I did assume, as English is a masculine dominated language. The word Ďheí is used not only to identify a male person, but a person in general, much like the word Ďmaní is used to identify the entire human race, male and female. Also, I stand by my pronoun usage! LOL

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I love how a thread cliche can turn into a giant grammar lesson :) Go CC.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

kk19131,

Actually it is "you" not "he". Because the poster already said "are you", saying "he" would constitute a pronoun change. Within a sentence, pronouns must be consistent.

This is so lame.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Not in the English I speak!!!! LOL... you are correct; switching from 2nd person to 3rd is unnecessary: I concede

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

so was that semi-colon

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Now that is one thing about which I shall not agree; my usage of semi-colons is more than appropriate! lol

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

And the colon. I should know, I'm averaging 650 on my practice writing tests.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

What's your point? lol

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I don't remember.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

There's nothing like arguing with Black people! lol

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Yea... they don't know when to stop. But you gave up, so I guess you're not really black. Just fake black, like Michael Jackson.... jks

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

LOL! I'm proud to be one of 110 Black people in Northwestern's class of '08!

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

I don't care about any of that stuff. Just so you know. MY GPA was way below par, yet i still ended up managing to get into some UC's. Probably because of my essays and EC's (stuff I enjoyed doing ;) ). But don't get me wrong some people get off on doing school work, which is fully respectable, others don't.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

"kousuke are you a 1600 rejectee with no life that prefers to point out grammer mistakes because they have nothing else to do?"

i wish, that would be cool. im a 1490 male high school senior, sorry. liek, dont be so mean, youre really rude.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Why Northwestern? Why not Yale, or Penn or Brown? Which according to your profile, you gained acceptances to.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

I would pick Northwestewrn over Brown and Penn in a heartbeat. Nicer students, cooler athletics, awesome city etc... Academically, Northwestern is as good as Penn and Brown. Yale would be a tough decision, but I believe I would also chose Northwestern over Yale.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

I live in Philadelphia an have taken many classes at Penn, I really wasnít pleased with what I learned, or how I was taught. I also donít like the campus, as I donít think itís really that nice. Brown was a nice place, but the students seemed snooty, and the whole "open curriculum" is a little scary to a student like me. As for Yale, itís a great school, but New Haven has a kind of ghetto feel to it, something I did not like; moreover, Evanston (Northwesternís town) is a very nice place to study. I want to be a journalist, and Northwestern has the best journalism school in the country, thus, it was at the top of my list. I must admit, it was difficult to choose NU over Yale, but I think Iíll enjoy studying journalism at NU more than studying English at Yale.

And I'm sure we all know that Ivy League sports have nothing on the Big 10!

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Nice, you made a good choice then.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page