Your opinions on Georgia Tech

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Your opinions on Georgia Tech
By 007 (007) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

What do you like/dislike about Ga tech.

any comments

By Calston (Calston) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Great engineering, science, etc. programs. It's in Atlanta. That's something as well. I've a friend who started there in June and is having a great time. If you're a girl, hey, it's something like 70% male. Heh.

By Anovice (Anovice) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

When I inquired about GaTech, all I was told was to look at the retention rate.... very low supposedly.

By 007 (007) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

what about the surrounding area and campus, i've heard lots of bad stuff about it! anyone?

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

When i visited, i found 3 reasons not to go there.

1) 70% male. enough said.
2) When asked whether they liked it or not, every student hesitated before saying that they liked it (though they all said they liked it)
3) atmosphere/intangibles

distance from my home and horror stories from a website dedicated to horror stories about Ga tech also affected my decision.

Ther were some things i liked too - it is the best in aerospace eng., i liked the location and the campus (to answer that last question, 007), and it won bball.

By Anovice (Anovice) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

"1) 70% male. enough said. :

70% male isn't a bad thing when you're female!

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

My son was accepted to GaTech this year, but elected to go to U of Florida instead. The engineering program at Tech is very good, for sure...but the overall quality of life seems to leave a little to be desired. In my professional life, I do not really feel that Tech produces "better" engineers than a number of other schools...including U of F. But if it's a a good match for the personality of a particular student, then it would be a fine choice.

By Wtsherman (Wtsherman) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

you should visit studentsreview.com - GaTech has more than 120 comments from students - 50% say they wish they'd gone somewhere else - also princeton review always (this week again) ranks GT in the top 20 for lousy professors and "least happy students" - which may explain why US News yesterday dropped GT's rank from 37 to 41 for 2005. That said 50% seem to like GaTech fine - but you should know what you are getting in to before you go.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

the 70% male thing will scare me from going there, but my bro goes there and he's happy, but he's in a frat so he gets hooked up to parties and stuff. Since i'm not into frats though, I prob won't go there.

Still if you're looking for a engineering school tech still rules. Their international relations school has risen in prestige in the past few years as well.

By Wtsherman (Wtsherman) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Exactly where has the international relations school risen in prestige? In Georgia? Please. No one in his/her right mind would pick GaTech if they wanted a competitive or prestigious degree in international relations.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page