A Potential College List

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: A Potential College List
By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

Am I being too bold/risky? The colleges I'm applying for so far are the following:

University of MD-College Park (MD resident)
University of MD-BC

Duke
Harvard
Cornell
Yale
University of Va (not sure if this will help at all, but we do own a house in Va)

I posted my stats in another thread as well but I'll post them again here:

SAT I: 1580 (800 M, 780 V)
SATII: writing: 790, math IIc: 790, chinese (took it to graduate early from chinese school): 780, and bio: 720
GPA: appx 3.9 weighted- not sure, but last time I checked it was like 4.8

Class rank: I don't think we do class rank at our school
Classes: APs: (10th grade) Gov- 4, (11th grade) Bio-5, (11th) Lang+Comp- 5, (11th grade) AP Calc BC
I am taking: AP lit, Multivariable Calc, AP chem, sociology (there were no other APs/honor classes that could have fit in my schedule, our school has a rather limited number of AP classes), and I have a 3 period internship at NIH through a Howard Hughes Program

ECs: my NIH internship through a Howard Hughes program, Peace Club (secretary, then VP), literary magazine, science academy, NHS, ambassadors (through last year), Spanish honors society, piano since I was about 5 but I only have guild certificates/pins for awards, math team (9th-10th grade), and community service (I have about 450 hours)

In terms of sports though, I'm not really an athlete. The only "sport" I have attempted is ballet (from when I was about 6 or 7 until I was 14) and that was only for fun.

So please, I don't mind if your brutally honest about my chaces at these schools. Personally, I think that I am being too risky/bold, but since my parents are paying for my education...their input was added in my choices. They think that b/c of my high sat score that I can pretty much make it into any school...so yea... (despite what I tell them, they are set on their notions)

Any suggestions/additional schools to apply to (I'm leaning towards biology and want to stay on the East Coast, preferably in the Northeastern area)

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

As long as you like the two Maryland schools you aren't being too risky. I'd expect you to be in at Duke and Cornell, too.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

You are from Maryland, want to major in Biology and aren't applying to Johns Hopkins?! Princeton is also excellent. As are Amherst and Middlebury, if you like LACs. I would consider the following schools:

Amherst (match)
Cornell (match/safety)
Duke (match)
Harvard (reach)
Johns Hopkins (match/safety)
Maryland (BC and CP) are both safeties
Middlebury (match)
Princeton (reach)
Virginia (match/safety)
Yale (reach)

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Well Johns Hopkins is on my considering list. I'm leaning towards biology...but it's not exactly a sure major that I'll stick with, and to be on a safe side, just in case that I completely change majors (ex go into creative writing or something), I'd like to be at a school where they also have strong programs in that.

Anyone else's thoughts?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

Guess what Jane, Johns Hopkins is among the top 10 in English and in Creative writing. Check it out.

By C_Vasoontara (C_Vasoontara) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Most ppl think that Hopkins is only good for biology/medical related field. True, Hopkins is world-renowned in those fields but there are also other programs that are ranked among the top 10-15 in the nation such as international relations, engineering school, public health, english, creative writing, etc...

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

If you want biology for med-school I would avoid Hopkins. Its a great school, but craz competitive amongst students in pre-med, and trust me better grades help.

I would add Dartmouth, Princeton, and brown on your list. You should be able to get into one of these and your schools.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Slipper, Johns Hopkins sends more students (112) to Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Michigan medical schools than Princeton, Brown and Darmouth combined. You really underestimate Johns Hopkins. If it is competitive, you can bet medical school admissions know that and take it into consideration. I did in fact recommend Princeton too. I would also recommend Brown and Dartmouth. But one must never ignore Johns Hopkins.

By Rmerolachc (Rmerolachc) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Just like to add that I think Alexandre was wrong to call Cornell, Johns Hopkins, and UVA match/safety for you, in light of my old high school classmates' experiences with those schools and admissions. However, you certainly are a match for every non-Ivy and non-pseudo Ivy college, excluding MIT and CalTech. If you're interested in medical school at all, consider at least applying to NYU's BA/MD program for the near guaranteed NYU med school acceptance but all in all, nothing on your original or revised list is "too" risky or bold. You've stacked up your scores and personal image well enough to hold your own in any college admissions process. Major kudos. Plus, look at Williams, William and Mary, and Wesleyan as well. You might find you like them for both biology and a possible major switch.

By Janeeyre (Janeeyre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the suggestions (once again :) )

I guess I'll keep this list (except perhaps add 2 more schools to it) and try to nail application esp those essays lol

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

Might want to look at Colgate,Holy Cross or Bowdoin for merit aid.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

Alexandre,

First I doubt those stats, but even if they are true I will use arguments you used in a previous discussion back at you.

1) My argument was that JHU is very internally competitive. That isnt to say a number of students dont end up at top schools, its just that many more students at JHU are in pursuit of med school percentage-wise, so percentage wise you're not going to do much better there. I wouldn't doubt that JHU also has more applicants out to med schools than Brown, Dartmouth, and Princeton total.

2) The schools you listed. Colleges are often feeder schools to their grad institutions, which would be good reasoning as to why JHU is so high at JHU med (if it is). If you want to go to Johns Hopkins med and think you can beat out tons of other med school crazy kids great, but it might be easier at another school.

3) Citing Harvard is great, but I have no idea why you cited Michigan, which is ranked 7-10 and heavily in-state focused. If you want to randomly cite #7, cite 1-6 as well...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page