I've posted here a billion times and i love you guys

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: I've posted here a billion times and i love you guys
By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

specifically alexandre (i hope i got that right.)

and ive come upon one more question!

somehow, i got on ithaca's theatre dept's mailing list. no idea how, but theatre is awesome regardless. i'm on tech crew at school and i plan on doing tech for every production senior year. i'd like to take courses in stage design/management in college. not acting/singing/dancing, god forbid anyone ever sees me do any of THAT.

anyway. the colleges i'm most definitely applying to at this point are:

1. UPenn - ED
2. UChicago [depending on my ability to get a math/sci rec]
3. Middlebury
4. Johns Hopkins

And one of Wisconsin-Madison/Dickinson/Earlham/Michigan-Ann Arbor.

For those unaware, I want to major in International Relations/Studies & East Asian Studies, focusing on Japan. Modern Greek is a huge plus. And if there's a single college out there that offers Icelandic, that would be incredible, but I'm doubting that.

So now! I can add 2 more schools (don't recommend the traditional IR schools I've missed; I'm not applying because I personally have no affinity towards them]. What I want to know is if any of the above schools have a good technical theatre department OR if there are any schools that have fantastic IR/EA/Japanese AND theatre.

Twould be helpful. I realize this is insane and the most selective thing ever, but, well, that's life. Thanks to everyone!

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Wisconsin has Scandinavian Studies, which include Icelandic. They have a decent IR department too.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Wisconsin's website says that Icelandic is offered "only occasionally". I found a site that says it's offered at UChicago but I can't find anything about that on their site.

so recap:

requirements:
1. IR
2. East Asian Studies/Japanese
3. Good theatre

Nice bonuses:
1. Modern Greek
2. Icelandic

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Icelandic? That's a first!!! LOL I am affraid you will not find many schools that offer it. Anyway, there are four schools I recommend you look at that may meet some of your interests.

Cal-Berkeley: Top 5 departments in Modern Greek, Japanese, East Asian Studies and a very respected Drama/Theater department. Although it does not really have IR, they are among the top 5 in Political Science. Also very strong in Scandinavian languages, but I doubt they have much to offer in Icelandic!

Cornell: Top 5 in Drama and Theater and top 10 in East Asian Studies, Modern Greek and International Relations. Scandinavian studies are usually limited to Swedish.

Michigan-Ann Arbor: Top 10 in Scandinavian Languages, Japanese and East Asian Studies and respected Modern Greek and Drama and Theater programs. No IR but top 5 in Political Science.

Wisconsin-Madison: Top 5 in Scandinavian Languages (again, very limited Icelandic) and top 10 in Modern Greek, IR and Japanese. Also has respected East Asian Studies and Drama and Theater departments.

That's all from me I suppose.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

On the LAC front, you already have an excellent pick in Middlebury. Three others you might think about are Macalester, Occidental and Kenyon.

As for Icelandic language, here's a short poem on the subject from the Minnesota (and Icelandic-American) poet Bill Holm. . .

In this language, no industrial revolution;
no pasteurized milk; no oxygen, no telephone;
only sheep, fish, horses, water falling.
The middle class can hardly speak it.

In this language, no flush toilet; you stumble
through dark and rain with a handful of rags.
The door groans; the old smell comes
up from under the earth to meet you.

But this language believes in ghosts;
chairs rock by themselves under the lamp; horses
neigh inside an empty gully, nothing
at the bottom but moonlight and black rocks.

The woman with marble hands whispers
this language to you in your sleep; faces
come to the window and sing rhymes; old ladies
wind long hair, hum, tat, fold jam inside pancakes.

In this language, you can't chit-chat
holding a highball in your hand, can't
even be polite. Once the sentence starts its course,
all your grief and failure come clear at last.

Old inflections move from case to case,
gender to gender, softening consonants, darkening
vowels, till they sound like the sea moving
icebergs back and forth in its mouth.

Aloha.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

Hooray thank you.

PoliSci and IR are not all the dissimilar, are they? Cal-Berkeley has an IR concentration (sort of) within polisci. Though it's really hard to get into (the college, not the program).

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

hahaha, is that poem an attempt at dissuasion? ;)

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

okay! since i'm sick of thinking about college:
my final list:

1. upenn ed (reach x 48023842)
2. uchicago (match)
3. middlebury (match)
4. johns hopkins (reach)
5. uc-berkeley (reach)
6. umich-ann arbor (match/almost safety/etc)
7. wisconsin-madison (safety)

im looking at u of washington at seattle too.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Poltical Science and International Relations are actually quite different, just like Physics and Engineering or Economics and Business are different. Poltical Science is more academic and theoretical. International Relations is more hands on and practical. It reallt depends what you want to do once you are done. Do you want to go to Law School or to work for the State Department. For Law school, PS is usually more respected. For diplomacy and government, I would say IR is more pertinent.

One more thing. As you consider Penn, check out theyir Huntsman program. It is quite interesting.

Good luck to you young lady. ;)

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Ah, I originally fell in love with penn cause of hunstmann but it requires a language SAT II score of 720 or more and I can't achieve that by november. Also, I'm not that interested in business.

I am stuck between Law school and diplomacy work as a career. I suppose that's what electives are for: figuring out what to study.

Thanks!

By Stuyvie2 (Stuyvie2) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Looks good. What happened to Brown? (I remember you raving about it.) New college acceptance statistics are up on the Stuy website - looks like Midd actually liked us this year.

I've got it down to 7, too. The only stressful thing left (yeah, right) are the recs - I need a math/science rec and, well, you know how eccentric the math/science teachers at our school are. :(

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

I like UPenn more. haha. and Brown absolutely hates Stuy.

I'm only using a math/science rec for UChicago if I absolutely have to. I'm attempting to convince them otherwise though I doubt that'll work. But I'm not going to give a sub-par recommendation than what I'd planned on, for the other schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page