NU-ED, Umich, Uva, Nyu.. can't post in WHAT ARE CHANCES foru

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: NU-ED, Umich, Uva, Nyu.. can't post in WHAT ARE CHANCES foru
By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I couldn't post at the "what are my chances?" forum for some reason... I keep getting an error, so I hope it's okay that I"m just posting at this forum.

The colleges I'm considering:
Northwestern (Early Decision)--am I wasting an ED?
University of Michigan, out of state
University of Virginia, out of state
New York University

...those are basically my top choices...

EC's...
In the parentheses are the grades that I participated in the activities, and after that are the number of hours a week//number of weeks in a year

1. Violin Lessons for 13 years (9~12)- 10 hrs//50 weeks a year

2. Member of a praise band (9~12)- 4 hrs//54 weeks a year

3. Volunteer at local hospital (12)- 3 hrs//45 weeks a year ***I started going to orientation meetings since my junior year... so should I list this as a junior year activity also? Also, I'm not sure how many weeks a year I'll be actually volunteering- so I basically guessed 45 weeks... Is that OK?

4. Tutored English for 2nd and 3rd graders who had just moved to the United States from Chinese (9)- 2 hrs//36 weeks a year

5. Mentor for an elementary school kid appointed to me by the school (11, 12)- 1 hr//32 weeks a year

6. Soup Kitchen Volunteer, and helped coordinate the Soup Kitchen trips (9, 10)- 3 hrs//6 weeks a year

7. Helped coordinate a Youth Leadership Conference (12)- 3 hrs//5 weeks a year

8. Missionary trip for 7 days where we repaired homes (repainted, re-did roofs), and lead a Vacation Bible Study for neighborhood kids, I participated and helped plan for this several months in advance (9)- 1hr//5 weeks for planning, and slept at the actual missions site for one week

9. Leader/Counselor for a camp-like program offered in my neighborhood (11)- it was only for three days, but I slept at the camp and was a counselor to a group of kids

10. Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble where I was 1st Trumpet for Concert and Symphonic Band, 2nd Trumpet in Wind Ensemble during Junior Year, and 1st Trumpet in Wind Ensemble during Senior Year (9~12)- 1 hr//36 weeks

11. National Honor Society Treasurer (12)- I'm not sure how many hours a week will be put into this.. I'm guessing not very many, considering it IS.. the National Honor Society.

12. Theater Business and Costumes Crew (10)- 3 hrs//12 weeks

My SAT scores
1st: 1190- 570V,620M
2nd: 1380- 630V,750M

ACT: 28
Broken down something like...
30Math
30Reading
28Writing
24Science

How do you figure out GPA's? Because I have semester grades- example: Instead of one final A or B in a Math class, I have two A's.. One for the conclusion of each semester.
But my rough estimate of what my GPA right now is something like
3.9something weighted
3.8 or 3.7something unweighted

I think I'll have semi-okay recommendations...
All of my teachers just know me as me, not someone that particularly stands out. So I'm going to give my recommendation to my Integrated 3 Math teacher, because I've gotten nearly all A+'s in all of his tests, etc. etc. ... And I'm getting a supplemental recommendation from my violin teacher, whom I know will write me a good one.

My classes have nearly all been Honors classes since freshman year, except for 9th grade English, 10th grade Biology, and I didn't take a science class in junior year. I've only had two AP classes, and will be taking only one AP class-AP Spanish- next year.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

By Itsrainingpants (Itsrainingpants) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

I think NU and UVA are rather high reaches, NU more so than UVA. It's always worth a try, and if your essays and recommendations are good, you might have a decent shot. What school of NYU? I think Michigan is probably a match, especially if you apply early because they have rolling admissions. NYU is a match/reach.

By Z00b (Z00b) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

What itsrainingpants said. Although Mich is obviously harder out of state, apply within the next two months for a good shot.

For NYU, Stern will probably be toughest to get into statswise, but for Tisch it's going to depend a lot on your portfolio.

By the way, great improvement on your SAT's. Mind sharing how you increased your math so greatly?

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I have no idea how I improved, seriously. I barely studied in between- it was pure LUCK. The test just seemed somewhat easier, but I never would have guessed in a million years that I would get a 1380... I was expecting about 1220. But the thing is, I only got one wrong in the math section and the score dropped to a 750...

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Itsrainingpants- is NU still a very high reach even if I apply Early Decision?

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Stuckat, I think you have a really really good chance at Northwestern regardless of ED or not. You seem very dedicated to your EC's and your stats are pretty good for NU, I bet people with stats lower then yours get in. Overall I would say all the schools you listed are Reasonable Low Reaches for you, I just would recommend to add two safeties and two matches, or maybe one match and two safeties, a match I would think would be something along the lines of boston university. However if NU, is your dream school, and money is not a concern, that ED will defenitly help your chances of getting in, I'm pretty sure you'll get in ED, but I hope I didn't raise your hopes up.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

BUMP!

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

bump....

any other opinions?

By Newnudad (Newnudad) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Yes... but... What school at NU will you be applying for... There are different standards for McCormick (Engineering) than Journalism (Medill) and Theater...

My D got in to Engineering with a almost exact same test stats, a little better GPA and class standing.

Bottom line - IMO- You have a great chance at NU!

Good Luck

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

i'm probably going into arts and sciences (weighburgh?)... and maybe double major w/music...

^newnudad, does your daughter like northwestern? i've been reading around and i'm kind of discouraged after what i've herad people say.. there's no social life b/c either
one third of the kids are in their dorm rooms all the time studying, the other third is out doing some kind of extracurricular activity such as newspaper, etc. etc., and the last third is regretting not going to some state school wehre there's more of a social life going on...

thanks for your input, everyone-
any other opinons? esp. w/umich..

By Itsrainingpants (Itsrainingpants) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I visited UMich during an admitted students' day and took a good look at it.
Ann Arbor is a GREAT town. Fairly active, movies, good restaurants, everything a college student needs. Being a large state school, it has its own party scene, frats and the like, which it would have had even if it didn't have such a good location. If partying isn't your thing, I'm sure you'll find like minded people- it's a huge school. One thing that bothered me was that minorities appeared to self-segregate (you'd see asians sitting with asians, hispanics sitting with hispanics in cafeterias, restaurants, student union).
Academically, the school is fantastic, virtually every department is well regarded (although at the graduate level) although it has its share of big classes, TAs, bureaucracy. At best, you'll learn street smarts and become very independent. At worst, you'll feel unimportant and yearn for something more intimate. The school does try to overcome these problems- it has a good undergrad research program, a "college for the arts" program called The Residential College.

By Itsrainingpants (Itsrainingpants) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Btw, I noticed the same ethnic self-segregation at Northwestern too. Although my tour guides were African-American, they failed to dispel this white-bred, homogeneous atmosphere of the school.
Other issues: The winters are COLD, few social options despite being near Chicago, strangely enough people found social life either too loud or too low-key.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page