Anything bad about these eight colleges?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Anything bad about these eight colleges?
By Simplyxme (Simplyxme) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

I made my college list a while ago, and i'm pretty set on these colleges: (in no particular order)

Haverford
Pomona
Middlebury
Queens college (CUNY Honors)
Stanford
Occidental
UCBerkeley
UCSanta Barbara

However! i just want feedback to make sure there is nothing about them that i need to worry about. i've done lots of research short of visiting the colleges, but input will be appreciated. [esp. on general atmosphere, academic feel, social life] -ex. "you need a bike to get around" or "there is racism"

What i am aware of: that middlebury is cold and snowy, that queens college isn't the best..
thanks guys!

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Not sure if this matters to you but my best friend hated hated hated haverford. Said there was zero social life, especially on weekends.

By Shyboy13 (Shyboy13) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

What do you want in a college? For example, Pomona is a tiny little school with virtually nothing to do on campus or anywhere close by. If you love a quiet life, that school would be perfect for you. On the other hand, Berkeley is probably one of the most exciting colleges in the world where you will never be bored. If you like excitement, you will love it there. Some people just want to go to school and not be bothered by factors outside of college. Some people people would be terribly bored by such a place. It all depends on what YOU like. You also have to take into consideration where you'll have a good chance of getting accepted, what you want to study, cost, etc.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Can't you apply to 7 CUNY schools on one application? And you just put them in order of preference? Why not Baruch or Hunter, for example?

And Middlebury! Unless I get into UPenn ED, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up there.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

I wouldn't say Pomona has "nothing to do on campus" - between the five college consortium, there's tons going on within a few steps.

Haverford is a terrific school but it is the type of school where "fit" is important. If you haven't visited, try to do so.

I'd say you have a nice list of great schools. Just remember there is no "perfect" school - there will be things you like and dislike about EVERY school during your four years there.

My only comment is that all of the schools on your list are highly competitive in admissions except for CUNY - if you're considering that a safety, make sure you'd want to go there! You might be better off looking for a few safeties that are closer in feel and academics to your matches and reaches. Best of luck!

By Simplyxme (Simplyxme) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice! ..i did take into consideration all that shyboy suggested. i'm leaving cost as the last thing to consider, and i know the schools on my list have a wide range of "personalities" but based on what i know, i could see myself at all of them.

i was actually considering occidental and CUNY as safeties, and i figured i only needed two.. but oxy = not safety?

also, right now i'm in ny but i will be (very likely) moving to cali next year... which means, i'll be applying as out of state but then end up in state. -if that helps.

(and i'll try visiting haverford.)
any other tips on the colleges, whether good or bad? :)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I'm not sure of your stats but Occidental has become one of the hottest colleges around in the past five years - their selectivity has risen accordingly. Median SATs for this year's accepted students were close to 1400 - I would be cautious about considering Occidental a safety unless you have really superb stats. They are also set on diversifying as much as possible geographically so applying from California would actually make Oxy a bit more tougher.

If you are set on Calif. schools, I'd suggest you look at some of these as possible safeties:
UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, San Diego State, University of San Diego, University of Redlands.

In the northwest, Willamette, Lewis & Clark, the University of Puget Sound, and Whitman College are all outstanding schools which, depending on your stats, may be close to safeties for you. Of this bunch, Whitman is the most competitive and the most academically challenging.

By Simplyxme (Simplyxme) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

i'll still be applying as out of state (just thinking for the second year i can pay less tuition if in CA), this is a link to my stats: http://www.prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=simplyxme

thanks for helping me, carolyn- i have to say i like occidental a lot ;]

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:10 am: Edit

you cant say if a college is good or bad. While it may be good to some the same college maybe bad for others. Perhaps the question you should ask if this college is suitable with your needs, goals and ambition.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

I would replace haverford with vassar for a more fun social life, but again it depends on what type of person you are

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Simply -- You have a great shot at Occidental. I'm still hesitant to call it a safety but it's pretty close to one. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page