Need more colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Need more colleges
By Shagpin (Shagpin) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Hey all, while I do have some colleges that I want to go to, I think I need help expanding the list. As I am from California, I also think my list is too UC heavy. Does anyone have info on honor colleges for any of the cal states? Here are my stats, please help me find a college that I would enjoy attending.

Academics:
GPA: 3.2
SAT: 1140
ACT: 26
Courseload: All honors except for freshman year
APs: 4s in APUSH and AP World History(Self Study), Im taking AP Econ and AP English this year. I also plan to study for AP Euro

ECs:
4 Years of Varsity Water Polo, Team Captain
4 Years of Varsity Swimming, Team Captain
11 Years of Club Swimming
8 Years of Club Soccer
4 Years of Refereeing Youth Soccer
4 Years in Conflict Managment Club
4 Years in two french immigrant clubs
2 Years in Ultimate Frisbee
2 Years of Lifeguarding
2 Years Moot Court
1 Year Mock Trial
1 Year Aca/Deca

Im not too picky on where I go to college, although Id like it to be smaller and more intimate. I want to do something in history or international relations, so being strong in those programs would be a plus. I do like the idea of going to a state school and possibly doing the honor college there, if anyone has a good place to apply to.

While I do have several sport ECs, Im not good enough to use them as a hook.

Current Colleges on my list:
Lewis and CLark
UC Santa Barbarra
UC Davis
UC Santa Cruz

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

In the Northwest, take a look at:
Willamette (match)
University of Puget Sound (match)
Whitman (reach)
Linfield (safety)

In California, I'd look at:
University of Redlands (match/safety)
University of Santa Clara (match)
University of San Diego (match)
Chapman U (safety)

UC Davis and UCSB should be considered reaches with your stats and GPA. I'd say UCSC is a match. You might want to add UC Riverside (safety) and UC Irvine (match) to your list as well. Riverside has a very good history department.

In terms of Cal States, San Diego State won't offer the smaller intimate environment you're looking for but has a good history department. Based on this year's applications, it's probably a match/reach for you. Fullerton also has a very good history program - a close match but again, not the intimate environment you're looking for. You might also take a look at cal state Humboldt and Sonoma - both would be nice safeties for you and are smaller schools.

If you'd be willing to travel a bit farther, I could make some other suggestions.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

cal poly san luis obispo is a good school, not to discourage you but for the honors programs at cal state, they usually want people with a 3.5+ gpa . I remember a lady from Cal State LA came to talk to us and she said that to be into the honors program you had to have like 3.75 and you would qualify for a full ride or something like that and I think she said of an SAT score of 1100 plus or 1200 or something like that. That was for cal state la.

i also spoke to cal state long beach people and they said they pick like a certain amount from a lot of applicants and they usually h ave high stats

By Shagpin (Shagpin) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

How about some more public schools? Most of those are privates, and as a result pretty expensive. Also, being from Northern California my dad is pretty much against anything south of Santa Barbarra. Why I dont know lol.

Thanks all

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page