UIUC vs PURDUE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: UIUC vs PURDUE
By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

which one would you recommend for ECE? i've visited both and like them about equally.

By Ck61188 (Ck61188) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

i was stuck bewteen uiuc and purdue. now, i'm pretty sure that i want to go to purdue (but i have till may 1 to make my final decision, assuming i get into both). here was my reasoning:

uiuc first impression wasn't great. i felt kinda uncomfortable because of the style of the architecture and design. it seemed to give an air of superiority or just something that's beyond me. at purdue, i immediately felt comfortable with my surroundings. after the tour of uiuc, i started to like it more and more. after my meeting with an admissions counselor, i really wanted to go. however, i'm going into engineering but i'm not sure which area yet. at uiuc, it's pretty easy to transfer within engineering, but that may waste time, and might screw up my plans for co-op (assuming a qualify). at purdue, their first year engineering program helps students figure out which area is best for them, and that is exactly what i need. i'm also graduating a year early from high school, so my application may not be as strong, and purdue seems easier to get into.

my situation is probably a lot different than yours in terms of academic and social background, as well as future plans. so my reasoning may not mean a thing to you. but i tried to help. good luck with everything.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

at first i felt uncomfortable with UIUC as well. the place just seemed so CROWDED. i met some people that were very friendly, and others who were not so friendly. however, once i took a tour of the engineering campus, i liked it a lot more. some of the buildings were VERY nice.

at purdue, i liked the place a lot more: the people, the campus, everything. the place seemed tiny even though it has tens of thousands of students. despite the construction and everything, i still thought the campus was great, even though some of the buildings seemed old and dark compared to UIUC. however, in terms of academics, UIUC is probably the better school. i have to decide if the disparity is large enough to make me want to choose UIUC of purdue.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

There isn't much of a difference in the academic quality of the two schools. There certainly isn't a big enough gap (if any) to choose UIUC over Purdue when you clearly favor Purdue. From what you've said, I would suggest you choose Purdue.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

UIUC is more prestigious in engineering than Purdue

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

I agree with Rtkysg. UIUC is the #1 school of Engineering in the Midwest. Purdue is excellent, but UIUC is elite.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

UIUC is better than Purdue in Engineering. All the UIUC Engineering rejects from my high school went to Purdue.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page