Not Sure Which Colleges to Apply to... help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Not Sure Which Colleges to Apply to... help!
By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

So I'm not going to be one of those annoying frustrating people who say that they are stupid and then ask you if they can *possibly* get in anywhere while handing you perfect scores... but I definitely don't have perfect scores or think that I'm by any means any better than anyone else (especially here at these boards)

I'm a rising senior (Korean female; but born in Los Angeles) and I'm finally approaching application-time though I realize now that I don't really know where I'm applying.

Here are my stats... maybe you guys could give me a couple names that would be a good fit?

I'm interested in majoring somewhere in the humanities or social sciences and plan to go to law school and be a lawyer

SAT I: 1530
Verbal: 780
Math: 750

SAT II:
Writing: 800
Math 2C: 790
US History: 750
Biology (M): 740

PSAT: 236
Writing Skills: 80
Verbal: 79
Math: 77

GPA:
9th: 4.066 (no APs)
10th: 4.1 (no APs)
11th: 4.84 (6 APs)

AP Scores:
US History- 5
English Language- 5
Calculus AB- 5
German IV Language- 3
Biology- 5
French IV Language- 4

Senior Classes:
AP English Literature
AP Physics
American Government
World Religions
AP Calc BC
AP German V
Sculpture

Extracurricular:
Member of LACC (Los Angeles Childrens' Chorus) with various performances with the L.A. Philharmonic and the L.A. Opera, in-country and out-of-country tours, and various festivals
3 years member of Madrigal Singers at School
Gumdo (kind of sword-fighting, not fencing)
10 years Piano
5 years Art (drawing, painting etc.)
3 years Voice

Extra School Activites:
PawPrint Staff Writer, 1 year
Co-President of the German Club
Member of the Roots and Shoots Club
3 years Spring Musical
2 years Acting
1 year Tap Dancing
1 year Drawing and Painting
4 years Enameling
3 years Tennis Team

Work Experience:
Summer Internship at Law Office
"Angel" in L.A. Opera's 'La Damnation de Faust'
Part of the Children's chorus in the L.A. Philharmonic's "Carmina Burana" and "Mahler's 6th"
3 years TA at SummerSchool (for Science, Enameling, Drawing and Painting, Summer Sports)

Community Service:
2 Years tutoring at Hillsides Home for CHildren
Volunteering at Church
Various little fundraisers etc.

Special Recognitions/Award:
I've gotten the National German Award twice, have always gotten a "Presidential Award" on the AATG test (American Association of Teachers of German).

I was a TASP (Telluride Association Summer Program) Finalist and Alternate (they pick 68-70 kids from the US based on PSAT scores, essays, application, and interview) for a rigorous summer program...

I received the Music Award (but that was only from my school)

I was nominated for (and maybe accepted??) the Cum Laude Society by my school with 7 other students in my grade... but my school doesn't rank so I'm not exactly sure where I stand... probably in the top 5 or 6, though I'm REALLY not willing to bet anything on that (my school is both tiny and extremely competitive).

I'm going to be in the "Who's Who" of American Students book

I got accepted to go to Amherst's "Diversity Open House" in October (not sure if that counts/matters) and might go to the National Law FOrum for a week in October as well

Also (though it isn't really my doing), my highschool is pretty well-respected with colleges, which I heard does give a little leverage? I think about 7% of our graduating class went to Harvard (though 10% were accepted, I believe) nearly all Early Decision/Action, and probably a third went to some kind of Ivy League or Stanford.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

In your case with your stats and being in California, you can focus on the schools you really like as you can use some of the UCs as safeties and go all out on the reaches. You do not mention what you want in a college--geographically, type of school, atmosphere, leave CA. Your major is general enough that most top colleges can accomodate it so it is not enough of a discriminator.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

whoops...

I'm not that picky about size of college, small or large doesn't really make that much difference to me (i think...) but I would like to to be on a coast (east or west, it doesn't matter).

And a college that is strong in the major that I like... not just ability to accomodate it

I'm already applying to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford as reaches (not sure what other reaches to apply to) as well as Amherst and probably a couple UCs, but other than that I'm completely lost.

thanks~!
-olivia

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

If cost is not a consideration, you should look at the Claremont colleges and apply to one or more that suit your taste. On the east coast, Tufts, which is larger than most liberal arts colleges but has a greater variety if possibilities - again, if cost is not a consideration.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

My family isn't filthy rich but my parents have worked and saved enough so that cost wouldn't stop me from applying anywhere.

Thanks~ I hadn't even considered (or even heard of [Tufts]) the colleges you've named (I'm the oldest and also the first generation of my family here so we're all completely college-confused)

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Harvard Yale Stanford are good reaches, UC's are matches/safeties,
I mean I would just leave it at that to where apply too, but if you want other choices I think adding LAC's would be a good idea like AWS, however if you want schools that give loads of merit aids i'd look into usc, bu, etc

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

I'd go to the library and read through the Fiske Guide to Colleges a couple of times. And for law school via a humanities or social science undergrad degree I would give small liberal arts schools serious consideration. . .certainly Pomona and Occidental on your coast; Amherst, Haverford, Bates, Smith in the east.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

I would say you have a great shot at the middle Ivy's, Penn, Brown, Dartmouth. Columbia is kinda an extreme, but it depends on what kind of college experience you want, a campus community or an urban scene. I would recommend applying to those three for sure, or at least visiting to check them out. You should get into at least one, and if you get into two or three nothing is as nice as having choices in March.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

AWS?

Yeah, my family really likes Amherst as a LAC and I'm going there for the Diversity Open House weekend in OCtober so hopefully I'll be able to get a good feel for it.

What does the Fiske Guide tell you? Just stats and strong points of the colleges or other stuff as well?

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

?

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

AWS is Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore, which are the top LACs.

Fiske tells you stats, strong majors, some student opinions of the place. I think it also gives you similar schools.

By Rmerolachc (Rmerolachc) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Look into applying to William and Mary, Georgetown, Swarthmore, possibly even UPenn if you'd like. Or decide that you're going to have fun with admissions and not even apply to a US school and try for Cambridge or Oxford (though w/o an international program in high school, you might have some problems, but I'm sure there are ways to apply). With your stats, you'll do fine and applications should merely be a formality that can be fun. Btw, Tufts is a great school as well, as mentioned earlier. The dorms are in pretty darn good condition too.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot~

Just wondering, I know that a lot of it is subjective and that there's never a sure answer, but are the schools being given to me to consider reaches, matches, in between...?

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

Some of the UCs are safeties for you. Occidental and Smith are close to safeties.

First research your options and determine if the schools look good to you; then sort out their selectivity.

By Rmerolachc (Rmerolachc) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Olivia, use www.princetonreview.com, create a profile for yourself, and it can pair you up with reach/match/safety schools much better than anyone on this website could or can.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

i tried that after someone mentioned a counselor-o-matic or something but for some reason it didn't give me any reaches at all... maybe i did it wrong

thanks though, i'll try that site~

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

still didn't get any reaches... it did give me a couple things to think about in terms of match/safeties though I still want a couple more opinions?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page