Check Out my list/make suggestions plz

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Check Out my list/make suggestions plz
By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

I'll tell you up front I'm only going to be a junior, so maybe I'm a bit ahead, but I still think it's good to have a list ready so I won't be behind when it comes. I'm from Massachusetts.

Heres most of my stats

Sats: I'm taking the old ones this oct. Should be from a 1440(bad day) - 1510(good day).
Sat 2s: IIC:800, Chem: 800, going to take writing and physics in the spring. Writing would be my worst, prob around a 700, physics another 800 or something close.
GPA: UW(I think 4.0), cant be sure W: prob around 5.0.
APs: Chem:5, taking Euro, micro + macro eco, Stats, and Physics B junior year, 4's and 5's I'd imagine.

Course Load: Most rigorous, a year ahead in math, 2-3 years ahead in science (I'm taking AP physics B and C online, our school doesn't even offer them).

ECs: (I'm speculating on a few things like 12th grade)
Varsity baseball: (10-12) good shot at co-captain
Acadec: (10-12) good shot at captain
Class President (10-12)
Newspaper: (10-12) Good shot co-editor
Student Council: (10-12)
NHS: 11-12
Tutoring: for comm service and money, couple hours/week.

Com service: not much, prob around 50 hours by end of HS.

As of now, only school ones (precalculus award, AP chem award, Silver in Grand Concours (french test). Maybe some Acadec awards.

Employed at movie theater summer after 10 (30 hours/wk)
Took Precalc and calc 1 at a CC summer after 9 (A and B respectively).
Took Calc 2(school doesnt offer it) at same CC, summer after 10 (A or B, not sure).
Tutoring for money
I'd like to go for some research/internship next summer.

Schools I'm looking at: I'm really interested in math and science. I probably want to major in physics, and minor in something math related. I don't care really where I am in the country, but would prefer to be near the city. Will need Fin Aid.

UC Berkeley

Considering(haven't looked into them much):
Cornell (kind of middle of nowhere)
BU (legacy)

How is my list? Any suggestions?

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Great list of schools. I would add Columbia, Amhers, Williams and Oberlin. They are awesome in Physics/mathematics.

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

anyone thinking I'm aiming too high?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Obviously, you need safeties. But you are ranked in the top 3 of a class of 200. You have great ECs. Close to a 4.0 GPA (unweighed), tough courseload, a 5 in AP Chemistry, a couple of 800s in your SAT IIs. I don't knoiw, if you get a 1450+ on your SATs, your credentials will be good enough for you to apply to the schools you mention. Actually, if you get a 1450, and if you apply by the end of September at the latest, Michigan is a safety and will give you an answer by late November.

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

one last bump, the what are my chances forum isn't working for me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page