Check Out my list/make suggestions plz

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Check Out my list/make suggestions plz
By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

I'll tell you up front I'm only going to be a junior, so maybe I'm a bit ahead, but I still think it's good to have a list ready so I won't be behind when it comes. I'm from Massachusetts.

Heres most of my stats

Sats: I'm taking the old ones this oct. Should be from a 1440(bad day) - 1510(good day).
Sat 2s: IIC:800, Chem: 800, going to take writing and physics in the spring. Writing would be my worst, prob around a 700, physics another 800 or something close.
GPA: UW(I think 4.0), cant be sure W: prob around 5.0.
APs: Chem:5, taking Euro, micro + macro eco, Stats, and Physics B junior year, 4's and 5's I'd imagine.

Course Load: Most rigorous, a year ahead in math, 2-3 years ahead in science (I'm taking AP physics B and C online, our school doesn't even offer them).

ECs: (I'm speculating on a few things like 12th grade)
Varsity baseball: (10-12) good shot at co-captain
Acadec: (10-12) good shot at captain
Class President (10-12)
Newspaper: (10-12) Good shot co-editor
Student Council: (10-12)
NHS: 11-12
Tutoring: for comm service and money, couple hours/week.

Com service: not much, prob around 50 hours by end of HS.

Awards:
As of now, only school ones (precalculus award, AP chem award, Silver in Grand Concours (french test). Maybe some Acadec awards.

Summers:
Employed at movie theater summer after 10 (30 hours/wk)
Took Precalc and calc 1 at a CC summer after 9 (A and B respectively).
Took Calc 2(school doesnt offer it) at same CC, summer after 10 (A or B, not sure).
Tutoring for money
I'd like to go for some research/internship next summer.

Schools I'm looking at: I'm really interested in math and science. I probably want to major in physics, and minor in something math related. I don't care really where I am in the country, but would prefer to be near the city. Will need Fin Aid.

MIT
Stanford
UMich
UChic
Duke
UC Berkeley
Northeastern

Considering(haven't looked into them much):
Cornell (kind of middle of nowhere)
BU (legacy)
Princeton
Harvard
UPenn

How is my list? Any suggestions?

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Great list of schools. I would add Columbia, Amhers, Williams and Oberlin. They are awesome in Physics/mathematics.

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

anyone thinking I'm aiming too high?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Obviously, you need safeties. But you are ranked in the top 3 of a class of 200. You have great ECs. Close to a 4.0 GPA (unweighed), tough courseload, a 5 in AP Chemistry, a couple of 800s in your SAT IIs. I don't knoiw, if you get a 1450+ on your SATs, your credentials will be good enough for you to apply to the schools you mention. Actually, if you get a 1450, and if you apply by the end of September at the latest, Michigan is a safety and will give you an answer by late November.

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

one last bump, the what are my chances forum isn't working for me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page