Help!International student without SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Help!International student without SAT
By Bikerwest (Bikerwest) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Hi everyone!I'm from China and I graduated from highschool this summer.I failed in the college entrance exam so I couldn't go to my ideal university.Now I am thinking of going to America for undergraduate.I havn't decided what i will major,but i think it will be architecture or engineering or IT.Here in China I can not take a SAT so I know the possibility is small.Otherwise,I will need full financial aid.At present I am preparing for TOEFL and I will take it in November.(I hope it won't be too late)I believe I can get at least 610.Help me please or at least give me some advice!It's really driving me mad.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

i've read something about it. I think that if you can't take the SAT in your own country, universites won't require you to get it.
You have to look or write to universities you're interested in and ask them.

By Matth (Matth) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Many colleges will require Chinese applicants to submit the results from the GRE and TOEFL since they are not able to take the SAT's.

By Sweetbee03 (Sweetbee03) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Bikerwest, be aware that only a few colleges give intls full financial aid--some do give merit-based scholarships, but it might not cover the full cost. Plus, those colleges that are generous to intls are the very top ones, and needless to say, are super hard to get into(Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams are need blind in admission for intls). And since you failed your college entrance exam in China(I shouldn't say fail because it seems like you still got into a college), I wouldn't say you have a fair chance at any of them considering the quality of the international applicant pool. So be realistic.
Sorry if I sound harsh. But I just want to tell you the fact. I'm intl, too, but living in the U.S. I also need a lot of financial aid, so I'll be applying to Williams in the fall. I took the SAT, and my score is in the 1400's. SAT is not required for people in China because there's no SAT testing center. I suggest you check out each college's website for more information about the required tests.
Good luck.

By Bikerwest (Bikerwest) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:53 am: Edit

Thank you for your helpful advices.I agree with Sweetbee03.It's really hard to apply for undergraduate for me.So maybe I will try my luck on some transfer programs later.I think it will be easier to apply graduate.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page