Theatre as a hook?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Theatre as a hook?
By Takeheart (Takeheart) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

How much of a hook can theatre be for me? I actively participate in my school's drama program (~20 hours a week, year round) and have had a lead in almost every show. I have been the assistant artistic director, student director, and propmaster as well. However, I don't have any tapes of my performances, so I couldn't send on in for evaluation (I don't think that I would anyway, I'm afraid that since I'm not quite Juilliard-caliber I'll be seen as sub-par). I'm certain that I want to continue theatre in college, but only as an EC. My high school drama career is also supported by my near perfect grades in my theatre class, and my background in the speech division of Forensics (I've won a few regional awards; nothing too impressive). Since I'm not going to be a theatre major, will my hook be lessened? How much will my commitment help me?

By Doctorjohn (Doctorjohn) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Takeheart:

I'm certainly not an expert on the Ivies, but my guess is that your theatre background will be very helpful, especially if you're planning on majoring in something other than theatre at a college or university which does not offer BFA degrees. If a school has a theatre program which is dependent on non-majors, you are likely to look quite good to them. In ancient times (1964), when I was applying to colleges a a prospective physics major, I have no doubt that my background as a musician and an actor was intriguing to the admission committees. So by all means include it on your application, indicate that you want to continue doing theatre as an EC, and that is part of the reason you have chosen to apply to them.

Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page