What schools should i apply to and how many schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: What schools should i apply to and how many schools
By Perfectangelt16 (Perfectangelt16) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I really want to make sure i apply to enough schools but to many schools should i apply to.Please tell me which schools i actually have a chance and if its a safe, target, or reach. Do you think i'm listing too many reaches.

competitive public school
GPA 3.33/4 unweighted
all AP and Honors courses
SAT 1320 690math 630 verbal (i'm planning to retake these)
SATII Math 2: 650 Writing:630
I didnt really study for these so i'm retaking them and also taking Physics
Ap tests-Calc BC 4
US History 4
College credit-gathered while still in hs from community college
US History
French
Business Academy
Emergency Medical technician
I'm taking enlish ap, vertebrae anatomy H, Physics 2AP, psychology AP, Calc 2 H(i already finished AP calc BC because i'm a year ahead of normal honors math curriculum), marketing, business academy

Extracurruculars
Cheerleading competiton-practice 6 days a week, team competes on ESPN
Future Doctors of America
Shakespear for the busy person-secretary
Junior statesmen of America-publicity manager
DECA-business competiton
School newspaper staff-rated #1 school newspaper in country by american Scholastic Press Association
and alot of other activities
Emerency medical technician-the people who come when you call 911 w/ ambulance
Summer Research student at UPenn-viral infections of placenta increasing risk of preclampsia

Chinese
1st language mandarin and speaks only mandarin in home

I want to go pre-med

List of schools-safty, target, reach?
Upenn-early decision my mom works there
Dartmouth(i know really, really a reach but i love every aspect of the school)
Notre Dame
U of Chicago
Emory
John Hopkins
Davidson
Wesleyan
Cornell
carleton
Washington and lee
carnegie
u michigan
tuft
wake
tulane
BC
Lehigh
rutgers
pennstate

By Anthony (Anthony) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

1) http://www.prstats.com

2) No such thing as applying to too many reaches

By Perfectangelt16 (Perfectangelt16) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

I forgot to ask Which school should i apply to because i want to apply to only maybe 10 schools or few more. I want a academically and socially balanced school. I'm not quite sure which ones are more balanced or offer a better undergraduate experience because i'm not just choosing a school i'm also choosing where i'm going to live for four years.

By Anthony (Anthony) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Your list is extremely diverse... If you want people to give you advice about where to apply you need to give more information about what you want from the college experience, what your career goals are, etc. It's very unclear what you're looking for because a lot of your schools are on opposite ends of the spectrum, ie. Penn and Carleton have virtually nothing in common.

By Perfectangelt16 (Perfectangelt16) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

I know its diverse, which is why i came to ask all of you for help. I want to go pre-med. I want a school w/ great education and yet still social. I guess you can describe me as really preppy. I want smart, enthusiatic teachers. I want fun and friendly student body.

By Jjsmom (Jjsmom) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

Well, my son will be be attending Tufts this fall. He will be majoring in Chemistry and is 99% sure he wants to go pre-med. He also was looking for a school where he'd have a great education and yet still be social. He looks forward to the smart enthusiastic teachers and the fun and friendly student body he observed during his three visits. And yeah, the kids tend to be preppy, but he isn't, so... sounds like you might like Tufts.

Your scores and ECs might be on the low side for regular decision, but if you love Tufts, Tufts tends to love early decision candidates back. ;>

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page