Yale eng vs. JHU eng

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Yale eng vs. JHU eng
By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I think I have the credentials to at least get in the lottery drawing for Yale, and also to get into Johns Hopkins BME.

I know I want to apply EA/ED to one of the schools but can't decide. JHU is more a sure shot than Yale, but the BME program is strong, and Yale's engineering is...flaky? I eventually want to apply to med school (so concentrate pre-med while in BME whichever school I go to).

Which would be better for me to apply early to... Yale(can only apply general and then major in BME when I get there - only early action) or JHU (#1 BME program - early decision)

P.S. I already visited both schools and liked both campuses.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

i haven't heard good things about yale engineering. it's an arts/humanities school. apply to whichever one has the better program since you like the atmosphere of both equally.

By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

bump

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

JHU ..

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

yale

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

if you've heard yale is weak in that dept, and you know jhu is #1, what's the problem?

By Unitethecows (Unitethecows) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:44 am: Edit

streetlight,
you may also want to apply to biomed eng in WUSTL..i have heard gr8 things bout it.. what r ur stats?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:36 am: Edit

Streetlight, you have completely lost me.

Yale is simply not a school for Engineering. You wouldn't go to Julliard to study nuclear Physics or to MIT to study Ballet would you?

You are better off going to UCSD, University of Washington-Seattle or Case Western, all three of which are infinitely superior in terms of BME.

But you seem to want prestige, and in this day and age, that is perfectly understandable. But please understand, studying Engineering at Yale is like putting a Yugo engine in a Porsche Turbo chasis! Sure it looks great, but you can only fool people for so long and you won't get very far...and not very fast!

If you want an excellent BME program and a prestigious institution at trhe same time, look at the folloiwng 4 programs, in that order:

Johns Hopkins
MIT
Duke
Penn

By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Unite the cows:
stats-
-1560 SATs (760v, 800m)
-780Bio, 760MathIIc, 730Physics, 720chem,
-APBio 5, APCalc BC 5, APStats 5, APChem 5, AP Physics C Mech 5, AP Compsci BC 3
-2 summers biomedical research (tuberculosis)
-Studnet Council President
-JSA Cabinet (dir of logistics)
-member of semiprof band (2 CDs out, top young band in NJ under 21 [Asbury Park Music Awards], opened up for Bruce Springsteen at Giants stadium)-completed 6 grades of Trinity College of London for Music (Piano - practical and theory)
-accepted to Columbia Science Honors program
-4 years tennis (1 yr JV, 3 yrs Varsity)
....ehhh idk what else

Alexandre:
Well prestige seems to be an issue because I'm not sure if the Yale prestige would give me a better shot at top Med schools over JHU's lack of prestige but good engineering program.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

But if he wants to go to med school, who cares which one is better at engineering. In fact, the overall reputation of Yale might be greater than JHU biomedical engineering's reputation with grad schools.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

While I agree that Yale is definitely more arts/humanities-oriented, that isn't to say that you can't get a great undergrad engineering experience at Yale. Columbia's SEAS has somewhat of the same problem, they are both not highly ranked. However, you tend to get individualized instruction and smaller classes as the engineering departments tend not to be as grand in size. Overall, if your aim is med school (just like another poster said), why worry about the rankings of your undergraduate engineering department?

The only things you should really be worrying about are what your GPA is going to look like (engineers have notoriously low GPA's, but I'm sure you already know that) and MCAT preparation.

Apply early to the school that you feel would generally best fit your needs, looking at the overall picture. Don't get bogged down by the rankings, which are best for making rough distinctions, as opposed to fine ones.

By Blueberrypie (Blueberrypie) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

I posted this on the Yale board, but it's valid here:

I've heard the same comments on many threads, "I heard Yale is bad in science so I didn't bother applying." "Is Yale good in my field of interest?" I keep responding the same way, so I figured I'd make a topic about it and make myself feel better even if no one reads it. Yale is going to be amazing in every field, unless you have really REALLY specific needs. Harvard, Yale, Princeton - all will be great, even if US news says that one is better in math, and one is better in english.

I want to major in engineering and chose Yale over MIT and Princeton and Fisher at Penn. Yale offers so much besides a US news ranking saying engineering and science there isn't good. I've spoken to professors and students at Princeton and Yale and all have to agree that at the undergrad level, department rankings don't mean much. You have a limited amount of time to take courses and there are more than enough at Yale - you go to graduate school to specialize. Granted, if you're set on being an engineer and mad scientist, MIT may be best because it IS hardcore science, not much else. But for a well-rounded education, complete with great social environment, you don't need to be concerned with how Yale "looks" in biology or physics.

In the words of one Yale graduate now working at a software company - "No one looked down on me for majoring in science at Yale. They just said 'Oh, you went to Yale, you must be smart.' So I had plenty of job offers. But what was great was that I went into the work field with so much more than just science knowledge, but a background in many fields."

College is a time to explore the many interests we have. So we should have our own rankings based on how the school fits us. I almost smashed a girl's head in at Princeton when I asked her why she chose the school and she said "It's ranked higher than Yale in engineering."

Well, that's it really. Sorry if it seems whiny, but it's an issue I thought should be addressed.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Yeah, what she said...:)

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Candi1657/ could you tell me more about a problem Columbia SEAS has..?? well i thought SEAS is pretty top tier engineering school, .. um compared to JHU, Duke, ..UCSD (BME wise)

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

Top-tier is a fuzzy phrase that means different things to different people, so I won't touch that. I'm simply saying that Columbia's engineering department isn't one of its stand-out programs (as in highly ranked), similar to Yale's own such predicament. However, people tend to blow such things out of proportion, giving them undue significance that I believe isn't warranted. The difference between #3 and #15 is pretty negligible, ESPECIALLY on the undergraduate level. There are certainly manifold advantages to these programs as I stated previously. It just goes to show you that every school one applies to/is accepted to needs to be examined holistically, which really means one should un-glue the copy of USNews from one's hands.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page