How many is too many? reaches, matches, safeties

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: How many is too many? reaches, matches, safeties
By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

how many matches and safeties should i get, i plan on applying to a lot of reaches no matter what anyone says, but i dont know any matches or safeties that i REALLY want to apply to. my stats are here, http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?757/80240

reaches-
MIT/Caltech(super reach, but i visited and loved MIT)(also probably EA)
Amherst(visited, loved even more, ED)
Rice (ID)
Swarthmore

matches-
BC(maybe a match?)

safeties-
none so far...

help would be appreciated, thanks

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

safeties/matches that come to mind:

Univ of Rochester, Haverford, Bates, Conn College, Lehigh, Lafayette, Davidson, W&L, Bowdoin, Trinity, Franklin & Marshall

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

thanks any more? i was up in boston til today, i should have stopped by bowdoin

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

oh, i guess ill also be applying to more reaches than i thought-
to add to my REACHES list-
duke
middlebury

oh, i guess i should say what i like- small schools, not party or dominant frat schools, i am fine with being with both democrats and republicans, but cant stand being the only democrat, or feeling like it. also, if you cant tell, i like small schools. i intend to study math/stat/econ/probability or something along those lines. thank you.

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Sooky, I don't see how you could call Haverford, Davidson, and Bowdoin match/safeties when Swarthmore and Middlebury are reaches.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

You were in Boston, so you should have stopped by Bowdoin. Lol...that's hilarious. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Bowdoin's a great school. I don't see how Rice fits on that list, though.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

mudbutt, are you saying that based on my stats or based on my list? and also, i think swarthmore is much more selective than the others. and i know bowdoin is pretty far away, i just remember seeing a sign on the way to amherst that said "bowdoin" also, why doesnt rice fit?

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I guess after seeing Duke and Caltech on your list it does make sense. At first glance it looked like you had mainly schools in the northeast on your list. I stand corrected.

Bowdoin's about a four hour drive from Amherst, and more like 2 to 3 hours from Boston. It may not be near a city, but it's not quite as in the middle of nowhere as Middlebury is.

This is comming from a person quite intersted in applying to Bowdoin and Middlebury, and quite unintersted in Rice and Duke.

Some people like the north, some people like the south, and you, just happen to like both.

Oh, and great choice with Amherst as ED.

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Swat is as selective if not a tad more than Haverford, Davidson, and Bowdoin. However, the selectivity is not by much. And I judge this based on the fact that many other people will apply to those schools with 1500 SAT scores and 10 AP classes. If you want to distinguish yourself, make sure you write great essays--something that tells who you are on a certain, solid topic within the span of only one page.

I'm a Haverford '08, and I can tell you that my stats were not up to par with yours. However, I wrote my ass off in my essays and made sure to know my school before I applied. The schools are reaches for anyone if you consider them just places to go for college and schools whose only link to you were you filled out an application. If you know the schools and are passionate about going to one of them, the one you choose will choose you. This goes for any and every school.

Rule of thumb: college admission is more like a lock combination. Find the things the college responds too and you will get in. This may take a helluva lot of investigation (books, students, adcom can help), but it can be done.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'd personally call Midd, Haverford, Bowdoin, and Davidson matches on the tough side, and Swarthmore a reach along with MIT/Caltech. On the off the cuff list I gave I'd call only Rochester/Lehigh real safeties for your stats, assuming your essays interviews are up to par, with the remaining as very reasonable matches.

Might want another safety or two? Hmmm.... Rutgers? SUNY Binghamton?

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

bump

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

For math, econ and law school, Carleton would be a nice match. Safety, Lafayette?

By Frazzled_One (Frazzled_One) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 09:39 am: Edit

Match/possible safety: Case Western Reserve in Cleveland. It's quite green and attractive for a metro campus, great facilities, not a frat/party school. Enrollment less than 4000; 25/75 SAT percentiles 1220-1440; great merit aid available for someone with your stats. Don't know if the midwest is on your radar, but Cleveland has a lot to offer and the area immediately surrounding Case is a cluster of museums, concert halls, and medical facilities.

It's a good idea to add another safety, but you seem a strong candidate for some of your reaches. Good luck!

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

Look at Harvey Mudd.

By Apply85 (Apply85) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Impatheticiknow, you went to jersey boy's state, right?

By A2a2 (A2a2) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Kousuke, I think you've got a shot at many of the schools on your list - but let's face it, at the ivys, good scores, good grades and good ECs buy a lottery ticket and that's about it. In reading this post and your other one, it seems like you are all over the map in terms of your choices. And there are some contradictions - at one moment you say, "not the south," the next moment you're applying to Duke and Rice. You've got LACs, universities, schools with a technology focus, etc. What I'd suggest is that you spend a little time analyzing what you want in your reaches and pick no more than four. Then for each reach school, pick a match and a safety that are similar, but less competitive. So, for example, if you love Amherst, you might also like Colgate for a match school. If you love Brown, you might also like Wesleyan for a match. As my son's GC made a point of saying over and over, the most important choice on your list of schools is probably your safety - because if all else fails, you need to be happy if you end up there. Not just resigned...genuinely happy. You have a very interesting background, and I think a lot of schools would be happy to have you. BTW, if you plan to do your sport in college, at small LACs they may not care if you're not all-state. Sometimes they just need to fill out a team. Good luck!

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Apply85-yes, I did...do I know you?

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

double post

By Apply85 (Apply85) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

hot, i did too

gee, I thought McGreevey would've liked Boy's State...

My email is mhayon@hotmail.com and my AIM is guitardude3355

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

A2a2-yeah...i really dont care where i go in the continental US as long as its not too conservative, AKA schools like vanderbilt. ive always liked rice, despite its houston, TX location. i just hope i can find a safety that i can be happy with, damn i wish i were an eskimo witha 4.0, 1600/3x800 and awesome ECs, life would be so much easier.
thank you everybody, i will probably add a lot of those schools to my list, including harvey mudd(with im think is a reach....and ive heard it had a horrible campus, so maybe). colgate(i thought they had a huge drinking scene?), and wesleyan, jhu(reachy match? only reason im applying is because im a prestige whore, and thats gonna show in this essay, so i probably wont get in...but....oh well), CWRU, and some of the other nice little LACs.
thank you,....and i guess keep up the help

By Par72 (Par72) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

Might want to look at Holy Cross-1 hour from Boston. Holy Cross is a very good academic school with good social scene-also no frats. Agree that Duke is worth applying to.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

bump

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:47 am: Edit

I think you should add Dartmouth to your list, it fits with the other schools you are looking into, and might be a very valuable reachy/match as nothing is predictable.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

final bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page