How to choose a school when you want the best of both!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: How to choose a school when you want the best of both!
By Kellyann (Kellyann) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

To Anyone willing to give me advice: I have attend one school 3 hours away from home (MTSU) my first semester for college and became homesick and missed my high school friends so of course I ended up coming back to Maryville College 5 minutes away from home for my second semester. However, now I want to go back to MTSU. I do realize that MTSU is much of a lesser education, but do I not need to be where I was happy so that I can enjoy college and thus make higher grades and simply be happy. I guess I just wish I could take MC's education and take it with me to MTSU! DECISIONS!!!!!

By Momofthree (Momofthree) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Dear Kellyann,

You will be able to find ways to get a good education at MTSU if you actively seek out the most challenging faculty in your major. Your experience the first year may be colored by the size of your classes, by being unsure what to take, etc, especially since MTSU now has over 20,000 students.
With that many students, though, you can be assured there are excellent faculty around, at least in most majors. Be assertive about good advising, even if you have to visit the Dean's office to let them know you are NOT gettng help; I have had to suggest this to students before, (at MTSU) and they have been very successful in getting the help they needed. Good luck!

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I know how you feel Kellyann, I went through the UF/FSU battle. One had a better education, one I liked more. One had better facilities, one kicked the gators' butt last year. I decided on where I was happiest. A great education is only great if its at a place you want to be, otherwise motivation is lacking...go with your heart

By Kellyann (Kellyann) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Momofthree and Buddnutz: You guys sound like pros!! The advice I got from both of you was truly helpful and especially since you both of dealt or helped someone else deal with a similar situation. I feel that my heart is being weighed upon and I know what it is telling. I guess I should just take the step and go with it. Oh by the way, Buddnutz which did you go with?? And to Momofthree it's reassuring that you've had to deal with this issue at MTSU. Thanks very much! And I am still up for any more suggestions!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page