Any ideas for a college that fits me

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Any ideas for a college that fits me
By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

By the Time i Send in my college app i will have around a 3.0-3.2. If senior year is included maybe it will be a 3.3.

Alright well my gpa has increased every year and i did not work to hard 9th and 10th grade years. Got a 2.8 freshman year i believe. 3.0 sophmore 3.25 junior. Senior year hopefully 4.0 with 2 ap's.

DO ap's weight in as a 5.0 to lower class rank?

I have decent EC's, I plan on joining a club or starting one this year. I have played varsity football 2 years, Did church community service(going to get church leader to write a letter), and I have been a lifeguard for the past 2 years and I work itleast 20 hours a week during the school year.

I did horrible on my SAT because i did not prepare (1010). I bought 10 real sat's and Cracking the SAT and have been studying that.

ANy chances at some of these colleges? Any match reach and safety?

University of washington in SEA
University Of Oregon
University Of Arizona
ORegon State?
Wash State?

Im from alaska btw to and I am not sure on my major yet but am looking into business major but I am in highly interested in becoming a dentist and going to grad school after 4 years. I have to get out of alaska? Any chances?
I like the warm weather.

Is there a college that is out there for me? (I want it be a college people know of) if i say i goto univ. of arizona people willl know)

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

WSU looks good. UW and UO are now reaches.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

If i get a 1200+ sat would that benefit into getting into UW and I was really wanting to goto my dad's college to.

Greatest atmosphere, cool and super friendly people and a all around good college. Relatives there to and I was born right around there.

Texas A & M.

oh btw im retaking a few c's from 9th,10th to make them a's and up my gpa and going to bust my ass on the sat's.

ANother question is when do you find out when you get accepted and when do you normally start applying.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Other inputs?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

U of Arizona is a reach. Arizona State might be more of a match. By the way, if you're interested in becomming a dentist, take a look at the University of the Pacific in California - it has an excellent pre-dental program and its dental school is considered one of the best in Calif. UOP would be a realistic match for you.

In terms of timing, most schools have application deadlines in January/February for people starting as Freshmen the following fall. Some schools - like the University of Calif. schools - have earlier deadlines so check. Most schools typically let people know the admissions decisions by early April.

I'd also urge you to go to the admissions web site of each of the schools on your list to determine exactly what the minimum requirements are for applying - For example, the University of Oregon requires some SAT II tests which you don't appear to have taken yet.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

IC,
How far off am i from getting into the U Of A?

And if i want to become a dentist to i have to go pre-dental?

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Well that was somewhat of a vague post.

Like if I get into the U of A can i take some pre reqs there and then goto grad school and become a dentist.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

You're really borderline for U of Arizona. Preference is given to instate students and you just make the minimum requirements for IN STATE students - (3.0, 1040 sAT, top 25% of class rank) - Out of state candidates need much HIGHER stats than instate minimums. You also need to have a minimum of 4 years of English, 4 of math, 3 of lab science, 2 history, 2 foreign language, and 1 fine/performing arts.

If you go to the University of Washington home page and look around for "Trends" under admissions, you will see that U of Washington accepts very, very few students with a 3.0-3.2 and 1010 SATs - most of the students that do get in with those scores will be instate students. Again, preference will be given to instate students - out of state students will need higher stats. You might get a very slight edge if you Dad is an alumni, however.

Again, you need to visit the admissions web site of each of these schools and carefully study what the requirements are and what your chances are at each as an out of state student. Pay attention to classes required, application deadlines, and tests you need to take.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - you don't major in "pre-dental" but it helps to choose a school that has a solid pre-dental advising program to make sure you are taking the right classes. The U of Pacific also makes it easier for graduates of its undergrad program to get into its dental school.

Good luck!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Some Northeast alternatives you might want to take a look at:
Seattle University - match
Pacific Lutheran - safety
University of Puget Sound - realistic reach
Linfield College - safety
Pacific University (Oregon) - safety
University of Portland - match

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

To learn the details of what it takes to become a dentist, I suggest the following web sites:

The American Dental Association Careers & Education link:
www.ada.org/prof/ed/careers/index.asp

The American Student Dental Association -
www.asdanet.org

The American Dental Education Association - www.adea.org

Between these sites you should be able to get a good idea of what majors and courses you'll need to get into dental school.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Alright Thanks A lot.

Will i have a better chance at Washington if i get 1300 or so on the sat, have a good essay etc.

So say i got into U Of A I would just need to find out what classes to take and I would be set or i could goto the Pacific in California and join up with there pre-dental program basicaly.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Also, here are some pre-dental advising pages from various schools, including the U of Washington to give you an idea of the types of classes typically taken by students in college who are interested in dentistry:

http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/predent.html

http://www.clas.pdx.edu/advising/predent.htm
http://www.coastal.edu/biology/PreProf/predental.htm

http://www.uno.edu/~acse/catalog0203/text/Science/premeddent.html

http://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/public/student/predent.html

http://hs.boisestate.edu/preprof/pre-dent.htm

http://www.clarkson.edu/healthsciences/predental.html

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

And here's a link to pre-health career advising (including for pre-dental students) at U of Arizona. It lists the recommended courses they suggest you should take for pre-dental.
http://www.prehealth.arizona.edu/

You might want to email the advisor there or at U of Washington and ask your questions about majors and courses directly. Good luck.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Yes, of course you'd have a better chance with a 1300 - or even a 1200 - at U of Washington. Good luck!

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Alright carolyn you have been the biggest help here and i give a huge thanks to you.

Thanks!

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

bump

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

UW does not look at your senior grades when you apply, it only looks at 9-11. UW has only so long to look at your application, so I dont think with your numbers it is very likely you will get in. I have a few friends in state with 3.5 3.6 1250's who were put on the waiting list. UW is getting very competitive these days.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

wait why would it be so hard to get into u of arizona when they accept like 80 percent of the people who apply, i say just apply you might be able to get in

why don't you also look at drexel? it might be a match if you brake 1100, people know that school too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page