Teacher or Program in Music ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Teacher or Program in Music ?
By Saraa (Saraa) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

My major is music performane. I hope to be a member of a professional symphony. I am admitted to two universities now. One is a large and high standard school in a city. It has a famous and excellent teacher for me, and I think we would work well. Instead, its overall program is not as good as the other. Because I am used to living in the country, I feel uncomfortable with its strict atmosphere. Though I may get used to it, I do not know.
The other school has an excellent music program with inexpensive tuition. It is in a small town. People are sweet, and the campus is safe. I like its atmosphere a lot. Though its teacher is also good, but I do not think I can depend on the teacher's connections for next stage, like a good graduate school and job opportunities. (I do not mean I will be always counting on my teacher to help my career, but teachers' connections are important for students in the music field.)
Should I consider a teacher the most for my potential career, or its atmosphere and program that I feel comfortable to live on campus? Please give me your opinions! I will appreciate hearing your experiences. Thanks,

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Looking back on my undergraduate education, I spent the most time with my undergraduate teacher for the school and my experiences with this professor helped mold my professional experience more than anything.

The most important thing for graduate school and eventually a member of a chamber group or symphony is the connections. It is an *insanely* competitive field no matter what instrument you play.

What schools are you specifically talking about?

JW

By Saraa (Saraa) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Thank you, Jonw222. The both schools are in Alabama and Mississippi. Because of expense, I do not think any undergraduate school in North. According to a student, the professor at Alabama is a typical "teacher." Because he is always busy, he cannot spare extra time for students. On the other hand, Mississippi's teacher seems friendly and cares about his students a lot. How did you choose your teacher? How, what else did you sepnd time with the teacher besides weekly lesson?

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

I had some lessons with a couple of teachers and I really hit it off with this one guy, who I had read his bio. I had a great relationship with my teacher, we went out for coffee and we would talk about music in addition to lessons. Of course now I'm in a program for musicology - a path which I decided on with his guidance.

By Saraa (Saraa) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

Are you a student of a music school? If so, please tell me how the students find connections to have jobs? I wonder if I should go to a big city like NYC, Boston, CA to find them if I can afford for a few years.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page