Difficulty of a Philosophy major

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Difficulty of a Philosophy major
By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

How difficult is a philosophy major? Is it considered to be one of those majors in which people usually get higher grades?

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Arguably, it's one of the easier majors. You don't have to do math or science, speak a foreign language, or have any special skills besides being able to read, write, and discuss.

By Shyboy13 (Shyboy13) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I almost have enough units to have a minor in Philosophy from UCLA. If you like the subject, and I love it, then you may be able to do good. One needs the mind for it because it requires a lot of thinking “outside the box.” The Humanities in general are very subjective so you may not get the grade you believe you deserve. Then again, your grade may be better than what you actually do deserve. As with other Humanities, there is a low correlation between the grades you get and the amount of effort you put forth. This is especially true for Philosophy because it is sometimes so abstract that the reader may not know what you are talking about even if you feel you just discovered the reason for human existence or something like that. That said, in my opinion, the subject is so fun that it is not difficult at all. Most people don’t consider it a difficult major either. Actually, I think it may be the only subject where you can do your studying by simply closing your eyes and thinking.

Asianalto, many Philosophy classes have prerequisites of other subjects such as math and/or physics so it is not always true that the major doesn’t require any special skills.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page