Where would you go to study genetics?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Where would you go to study genetics?
By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Is anyone here considering majoring in genetics? Or a career that would lead to medicine development, or any biotech career? Which Us are you looking at? What's the pay like? How far can you go with a BS degree? MS?

Thanks.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I hear that UC-Davis, Cornell, MIT, Wisconsin-Madison and Illinois-Urbana Champaign are the best in Genetics.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

PS I'm from California, is there any sites that help those planning to major in genetics?

UC-Davis, you say, excellent, I will keep that in mind.

I'm currently interested in:

Cornell
NYU
UC: Berk., LA, Davis, SD
Johns Hopkins

are these schools good in terms of genetics?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Like I said, Cornell and Davis are excellent. I am not sure about NYU. But UCLA, Cal and Johns Hopkins are so good in biology, I would be seriously surprised if they were not good in Genetics. I think UCSD is also pretty strong in Biology. And don't forget about Pomona and Harvey Mudd and several other LACs. I am sure they are good too. So you have a few schools to consider. I think I listed some 23 schools. But if you can give us your stats and preferences, we can perhaps narrow this list to my 10 or 12 schools:

Amherst
Bowdoin
Carleton
Chicago
Cornell
Davidson
Duke
Harvard
Haverford
Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Johns Hopkins
MIT
Middlebury
Pomona
Princeton
Reed
UC-Berkeley
UC-Davis
UC-Los Angeles
UC-San Diego
Washington University
Williams
Wisconsin-Madison

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Ok here are some stats:
1410 SAT I (690V, 720M) (I only took it once, but I studied a lot)
3.9 UW
4.2 W
(The GPAs are conservative estimates, I suspect the Weighted GPA without freshman year is much higher like 4.4)
SAT II: M-Biology 780
Writing 670 (took it cold, 0 studying)
Math IC ??? (didn't take it yet)

I expect that Writing score to go up to between 720-770 and the Math IC (or maybe even IIC) will be in the high 600s low 700s.

Rising Senior, with AP Scholar with Distinction award Art History 5, Euro History 5 US History 5 Biology 5 AP Eng Lang/Comp 4 (first 2 as a sophmore, last 3 as a junior) took all the AP classes available so far (and all the honors courses, except one.) Didn't write any essays yet, and I have pretty decent E.C.

Oh and I have an A in a non-UC Transferable CC class in Introduction to Perl Programming (I'm a computer geek too)

looking for schools in CA and the East Coast (from MD to MA)

Thanks for the assistance

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

OK, so the UCs will be your safeties. You can apply to reaches and matches out of state. Schools like Johns Hopkins, Cornell and whatever other school you happen to like. If your weakest year was your Freshman year, look seriously into Princeton. Those guys don't factor in your Freshman grades.

But don't panic, you are as good as in UCSD and UCD. UCLA and UCB are also very likely to be in your pocket. Your AP exam results are very good and will be very helpful to you. If you can write good essays, I think you have a shot at most schools you will apply to. Now it is up to you to do your research into universities. The list I have given you above is a good place to start but don't limit yourself to just one list. Do a lot of research. You don't have to make a decision on where to apply for another month.

One more thing. Cornell has a two-part application. So get started on them early if you want to go there.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Thank you!

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Strangely (because it is known as a humanities-based school), Sarah Lawrence College has an excellent MS program in genetics. It was THE first human genetics program in the nation, and has trained half of the US's genetics counselors. It's only good in genetics for grad school, though.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I see. well, if anyone has any more information to weigh in on the UCs, and other genetics departments around the country please do, if you have information as to their rankings that would be great too, the best of course is personal or semi-personal experience.

PS if anyone wants to suggest colleges for me in general and suggest which ones on my list are reach/match please do, when doing this don't worry about their genetics program.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

For a career in genetics, you would major in Chemistry, Biology, or Biochem at the undergrad level.

From there, you would either go to medical school or a PhD. program.

For the undergrad work, focus on getting a good solid science background and then take it from there.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I don't know the programs, but I do trust Alexandre's advice to be good. If Davis is top, stop the search. You easily qualify to be a chancellors or presidents scholar there meaning a free ride, first access to classes, guaranteed dorms and parking!

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Interesteddad even if the college has a specific genetics major?

Mom101, I'll research the scholarships thanks.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Among the UCs, I would expect that genetics classes would be best at UC-San Diego and UC-Davis (plant genetics espcially).

By Jenskate1 (Jenskate1) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:28 am: Edit

At U of Rochester, you can do a BS in biological sciences with a concentration in molecular genetics, a program I've heard is really good.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

The molecular genetics research at Caltech is arguably the best in the country.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Stanford and Harvard are the only two universities in the world that have their own stem-cell research facilities and programs. Might wanna look into that if you are going to study genetics.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Stanford + Harvard = way out of my league.

Isn't there a deal I can make with these colleges? I'll keep above a 3.3, major in genetics. I'm dedicated to the subject!

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Actually the University of Wisconsin was the first to isolate stem cells and has many of the lines approved for research. It operates a large research program in this area. It also has one of the top genetics groups in the US.

http://www.genetics.wisc.edu/programs/undergrad/

http://www.stemcells.wisc.edu/

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

"Stanford and Harvard are the only two universities in the world that have their own stem-cell research facilities and programs."

You may want to double check your facts. Also, there are several schools that may not have their "own" facilities but they do have programs set up with local facilities.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

U-Wisconsin: "At present the campus has more than 30 faculty members with research programs involving embryonic or adult stem cells. These research groups are physically spread across campus and housed in a variety of organizational units."

Having 30 faculty members spread out among the campus hardly constitutes a cohesive stem cell reasearch program.

Stanford: "STANFORD, Calif. - Stanford University announced today it will establish a new Institute for Cancer/Stem Cell Biology and Medicine, a multi-disciplinary initiative that is believed to be the first of its kind in the country. The institute will bring together basic and clinical scientists in a unified effort that will harness the power of stem cell biology and cancer biology to develop novel treatments for cancer as well as other devastating diseases such as diabetes, Parkinson's disease and cardiovascular disease." http://mednews.stanford.edu/stem-cell-institute.html

Harvard has followed suit and established its own program as well.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page