Engineering Rankings

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Engineering Rankings
By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Alternative to U.S. News:

http://www.graduateshotline.com/ranks/index.html

Discuss.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

I agree with mudbutt, all schools which are ABET accredited meet the standards of becoming a engineer. Although a degree from MIT will be more respected than a degree from Drexel, the person will still be a engineer. Nowadays, employers don't really look at the name of the school although it is advantageous to get your foot in the door, if you don't have co-op or internship experience , you can kiss your chances to getting job goodbye.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

"if you don't have co-op or internship experience , you can kiss your chances to getting job goodbye."

Agreed, the vast majority of engineering firms only hire former co-ops or interns. Of course this only pertains to newly minted engineers. People with experience can always lateral their way into companies.

Benefits of Co-ops and internships:

http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/articles/plan/majorsExcerpt.asp

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

--yawn-- more Northeastern propoganda

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Not propaganda, just fact:

http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=400&article_id=20275&cat_id=1083

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Where in writing does it say you're screwed without coop or internship experience? Granted it helps, but to say it's all over if you don't get one of a handful of high competitive internships or coops seems a little off. My son did an internship this summer. There were 5 of them, and probably a couple more coops. If there were 30 total at the company he interned with, and there are 2500 employees....Well, I just can't get your math to work.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Maybe not "screwed" but certainly disadvantaged.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

I find it hard to pay any attention to rankings that lists its methology as:

"compiled by graduateshotline using various resources on internet, comments by current students, NRC rankings etc. Importance has been given to funding, placements, research."

Might as well have said:
"These rankings have been put together based on searching for a school name on Google and seeing what showed up." I mean come on, basically they're just putting research done by other people into their own "formula" (which they don't show us). We can find NRC rankings on our own, and comments by current students are pretty useless unless you ask every single college student in the country to make an objective analysis of their school.

Plus, Alan5, you have pretty much tarnished your own name as far as Northeastern trolling and everything you say has to be taken with a grain (more like a pound in your case) of salt.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

LOL! good come back! But in my own defense, I back up most of what I say with hard evidence (articles, links, etc.).

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

I suppose. I am actually from Massachusetts and agree with you on some issues. Northeastern is considered a good school up here. Reading posts on this site by some people however, would lead a person to think that Northeastern is a really awful school, and it's not. Is it still to some degree a safety/backup school to the likes of BC, Brandeis, and BU? Sure, but that doesn't really mean much in terms of educational quality, just selectivity (a rather overvalued statistic in today's college admissions world in my opinion. It seems almost as though a college's merit is being based on its selectivity instead of its selectivity being derived from its merit... It's all become very circular.).

Anyways, I'm not sure where that discourse came from...but yeah, have a pleasant day.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

You're absolutely right, Ay_Caramba, but this board is chock full o' number-crazed students whose prized possession is the number next to their school's name in some meaningless magazine. Northeastern is a very good school that is respected nationally, and the people in the industry (who really matter as opposed to most of the posters on this board) know this fact and that is the important thing, nothing else.

By Nvadad (Nvadad) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Value of co-ops?

I have asked working, professional, senior engineers this question:

Given a B student with co-op or internship experience and a straight A student with none, who do you hire? Answer every time: B student.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page