Kettering: formerly GMI

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Kettering: formerly GMI
By Sk0rn (Sk0rn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Kettering is a small specialty school in flint michigan. Ive heard good things from many people I know, but they seem to have a serious negative vibe online. Is this really a horrible school? Is it a real place of learning or a vocational school?

By A2a2 (A2a2) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

It's definitely a place of real learning and not a vocational school in the "shop class" sense. If you're interested in engineering and want a co-op experience, Kettering is an excellent choice. By the time you graduate, you'll have several years of work experience and be way ahead of other new grads. However, it's not your typical 4-year college.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Kettering is a highly selective school which boasts a high percentage of its grads becoming CEOs of major corporations. Based on brochures my daughter received from them a year or two ago, a lot of one's education there is spent in "on the job" training in very specialized areas. I imagine most of their grads step right into high-paying positions immediately. Please request more info if you're interested. It sounds like a truly unique opportunity for those inclined in the mathematics/science areas.

As a matter of fact, the high school requirements for application to Kettering are quite demanding and not possible for those on 4 x 4 block scheduling to achieve very easily. They request several full years of study in many areas, so a semester long course is not acceptable.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Highly selective? The middle 50% SAT is 1130 to 1330 and only 35% of the class was in the top 10% of their high school class. That's worse than a school like Stevens Institute of Technology (1200 to 1360, 50% in top 10%).

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Maybe I'm mistaken. I tossed the info my daughter received some time ago, but I thought the mid SAT range was higher than that. I just know that it was formerly General Motors Institute and has retained a good reputation over the years supposedly.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

It's awesome.. one of my friends is going there. Great reputation, good aid, cool location, well-placed alumni...It is truly a gem.

By Newnudad (Newnudad) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I have a nephew that goes there - He loves it...Working for a large Gov't Org for his co-op... Makes more than his Mom and Dad now...He is Genious smart, but screwed up in high school... did not do homework etc... He got Great ACT score though, so they admitted him...

It is for serious engineering geeks, not a whole lot of "campus beauty", but he says it is functional.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page