Better for Bio/Pre-Med: SUNY Bing or University of Miami?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Better for Bio/Pre-Med: SUNY Bing or University of Miami?
By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I was curious on the answer of this question. I was just wondering which school was better in this field? If I'm informed correctly, both schools are known for being strongest in this area, but what school is better as a whole?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

They're both very good in this field, and the difference would be very small. Choose the one that fits you better.

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Would a student like me qualify for Miami? I'm pretty sure I qualify for Bing since I'm instate and applying EA.

3.3 UW GPA
1270 SAT
Good EC's
Great trend (4.0 GPA Junior year)

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Yeah absolutely for Miami, if you charm in an interview, you may be eligible for scholarship for in state. You are pretty much in...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

The schools are very different. If you are talking about the quality of the programs, that is one thing. I do not think for pre med prep there is necessarily that big of a difference though at Miami there is a BA/MD program that may provide some guidance. But environment, people, amenities are a different story. Binghamton is a state school and has far fewer frills than UMiami where there is a larger proportion of well to do kids. NY and Fl are very different.

If you have financial considerations, bear in mind that med school is very expensive. My niece expects to owe $160k getting through med school. She fortunately did not take out loans for undergrad so she owes only for medical school. If finances are an issue there is no question where you should go as SUNY is a bargain for instaters.

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

BUMP!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page