Which top tier schools have guaranteed 4 year housing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Which top tier schools have guaranteed 4 year housing
By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

i want a school with 4 years of guaranteed on campus housing. i visited notre dame, wustl, northwestern, stanford, berkeley, ucla, harvey mudd, usc. the ones i liked most were stanford and notre dame. they were the ones with 4 year housing. i think the 4 year housing creates an atmosphere that other "commuter" type colleges cant duplicate. so which to tier schools have 4 year housing???

By Enzom (Enzom) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

I would imagine that all of the top LACs do.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

I would imagine that all the ivy leagues do.

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Jerome,

actually the distinction I think you want to make is between "residential" and "commuter" campuses. This will let you expand the range of colleges you are contemplating.

In a commuter campus students live throughout a nearby city (or cities) and use some form of motorized transit to get to school, in a residential campus they either live in college-provided housing or just off-campus and can walk or ride bikes.

So the atmosphere at Dartmouth or almost any LAC in a small community is going to be similar in terms of student presence on/near campus to that you found at Notre Dame & Stanford. Stanford is in a large suburban area, just like Berkeley. At Cal students are sprawled over the nearby areas and is a commuter-school; Stanford solved that problem by providing on-campus housing all 4 years to avoid being a commuter school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page