International Relations Undergraduate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: International Relations Undergraduate
By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

OK, so obviously Georgetown is strong in international relations, but as that's just one college with no guarantee, can you please list some other colleges in URBAN areas, pretty much only on the east coast, that are strong in international relations?

For example, how is UPenn? Dartmouth? Swarthmore? UChicago?

Also, for safeties, so far I only have George Washington.

Any suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

How about Tufts? The Fletcher School is amazing.

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Dartmouth is a rural school. Swarthmore is suburban.

By Katieeitak (Katieeitak) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

American University maybe?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I'm not sure but isn't the Fletcher school a graduate school?

Thanks Arcadia - I dunno why I put Dartmouth down. Swarthmore I was considering b/c its only 10 minutes or so away from a major city.

I'd never heard of American University before - DC is good. But how selective is American University? I don't know anything about it.

Also, does anyone know if UPenn and UChicago have reputations for being strong in international relations?

Thanks!

By Hayden (Hayden) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

You've got great stats, and you've narrowed down the search to 3 specific criteria: urban, IR, and east coast. So basically you already know the potential schools: Georgetown, UPenn, NYU, George Washington University, and Tufts (I'm assuming Harvard is out).

American is definitely a safety for you, - maybe too much of a safety for you to apply to.

Depending on which criteria you're most willing to be elastic on, you may want to think of Emory in Atlanta, or Johns Hopkins near Baltimore.

By Snuffles (Snuffles) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Tufts, Georgetown , and Johns Hopkins are the big 3 in international relations. Tufts remains situated at the #1 post. Although the fletcher school may be only for grad students, 50% of entering undergrads major in IR in preparation for postgraduate studies. The program is very rigorous, resulting in many students changing majors and diffusing into others such as psychology. But be warned: IR may sound like a fun major, but it is not for the light hearted. Expect reading. Lots of it.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

Thanks a lot guys!

I think I might visit Emory to see how I would feel in a southern city, never really been so I wouldn't know.

So I'm kinda looking at these:

Georgetown
UPenn
Tufts
Johns Hopkins
Emory
George Washington

Can anyone suggest a 7th safety - maybe a better one than American?

Thanks!

By Donutlover (Donutlover) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:31 am: Edit

University of maryland

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

University of Wisconsin, of course if you're willing to go to the midwest. A solid amount of east coasters there.

and if money is of no object, George Washington/Boston Univ as safties.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Awesome, thanks!

Wisconsin is a bit too far out for me - this is my first stray out of nyc lol.

I'll definitely take a look at BU when I go to see Tufts, and maybe University of Maryland when I go see Johns Hopkins.

Thanks again!

By Hayden (Hayden) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

PS to Miscgrl - you sound like a terrific person. Please post where you end up, because I'd be interested to know. Best of luck to you.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Awww shucks thanks Hayden :D

I definitely will post, hopefully with good news!

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Hey Miscgrl - about Emory. Atlanta really doesn't have the feel of a so-called "southern city!" It actually feels very northeastern (I have lived in NY/NJ all my life), and the Emory campus, save for being a little more friendly than some of the schools around here (:)), doesn't really have much of a "southern feel." Nothing like Vanderbilt, at least. Good luck - our stats are very similar :) I don't know much about International Relations, but for an urban school that might be a safety for you - how about Tulane or Boston University?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info about Emory - you've erased some of my doubts, now i have to convince my parents to make the trip down there. they shouldnt mind tho - they've been looking for an excuse to get out of nyc during the republican convention.... :P

also looking into Tulane, dont know anything about it. i think i've finalized Boston U for a safety - tho i think I'm gonna go check it out, while i'm looking at Tufts. thats the trip north, i also have to make one south to DC, Baltimore, and Atlanta!

actually, i've got a lotta visiting to do!

thanks everyone!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page