College Recs for Future in Optometry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: College Recs for Future in Optometry
By Anovice (Anovice) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

I've come to realize that although I think I could get through engineering as an undergrad, I would not be happy with that as a career and I should therefore not waste my time and energy going through it. So, here I am, looking at schools with accelerated pre-optometry programs or biology/health administration programs. My stats are as follows:

ACT: 28 (recently got back June scores and although I got the same composite, I got a 32 in english, 31 in math. On a previous exam I got extremely high in science... I am thinking that I will take it again in September and see if I can combine these scores onto one exam.)
GPA: 4.7 weighted(unweighted ~3.93)
Relatively difficult courses(incl classes during senior year which I plan to take) 5 Math(through AP Calc), 4 english(2 AP), 5 science, 4 history(2 AP), 2 computer programming, 3 foreign language(latin 1,2,german 1), 2 arts(1 AP), and various other electives. Also enrolled at a local college where I've taken some math and sciences classes(5 total).

Extracurriculars: partial list

Student Liaison to the board of education(which also includes top SGA position at school, member of county SGA board)
National Honors Society Vice President
Key Club Vice President
National art honors society member
softball & fieldhockey (1yr varsity, 2yr JV)
assistant coach on adult community softball team
many hours of volunteer work with a disabled softball team
employed at local gym ~3 days a week
mock trial member
captain of computer programming team
...many more

I don't think that I need to go to a super competitive school. I don't have that personal need to go to an ivy league and, although competitive, optometry school is not as competitive as med school. I would like somewhere where there is a possibility of getting grants/scholarships (financial aid it out because of parents income). Location is not as big of an issue.

Here are some schools I've looked at and think might work: (all have affiliated pre optometry programs)

St. Johns University
Lehigh
Villanova (maybe)
Gettysburg College
Muhlenberg
Nova Southeastern

(these do not have affiliated programs but do have premed, etc)
University of South Carolina
NC State

Any recs, how will I fair at these schools?

Other thoughts?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page