Match and Reach School Suggestions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Match and Reach School Suggestions
By Jerseyshoregirl (Jerseyshoregirl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Please help, I'm still completely undecided about where I want to apply. So far I think I'm applying to Villanova and TCNJ but I feel like I should apply to more schools.

I want to stay between D.C. and Boston (I can't go too far from home). I'm undecided about my major. I visited Vassar and a couple other similar schools and I didn't like atmosphere there, so schools like that are out. I can't go anywhere in a major city.

Here are my stats:

I'm a white female from suburban New Jersey (the shore).

1480 SAT (710 M/770 V)
770 Writing, 750 U.S. History, 690 Math IIC (yeah, yeah, I know)
Weighted GPA: 4.02
Unweighted GPA: probably around a 3.9 (I'm not sure)
Class rank: 1/270
Classes: I've taken honors everything up to this point. For senior year I have 5 APs and one more honors class.
National Merit: I'll probably be commended and miss being a semi-finalist by a point or two (I got a 220).

ECs:
- NHS and Key Club. I participate and do everything I have to but there's nothing remarkable about what I do in either of these.
- Softball: my big EC takes up a LOT of my time and is something that I love to do more than anything in the world. I play traveling softball; my team is pretty good - we came in third in states and 17/167 at nationals. The local paper also wrote an article about us. I play all weekend, every weekend during the summer, plus a doubleheader during the week. During the fall I play every weekend as well (some weekends only Sundays, other weekends I have full tournaments that last all of Saturday and Sunday). I also work out with a personal trainer three times a week, and during the winter I go batting a couple times I week. I also have traveling practices during the winter. Last year we flew out to Las Vegas to play a tournament in February, and this year we may go to Florida and San Diego. I play school softball too, and I made the All-Division team. I'm not good enough to play in college but it is my favorite thing to do in the world. It also helps that the girls on my team are my best friends and that we have a lot of fun.
- Softball website: My dad runs the local softball leagues, and I'm in charge of updates on the website (which can take some time). I also have to put together all of his packets and registration forms for his teams. I don't know if this counts as an EC or if it's just something that takes up time...haha.
- Basketball Stats: I do computer statistics for my school's varsity boys team. During the game I chart shots and keep track of rebounds, assists, turnovers - everything. At halftime and at the end of the game I print out box scores for the coaches and the newspapers. I also call in the games to the newspapers. The program is not too easy to learn (only one other school in the area uses it, and I taught the girl who does it for them) although it isn't rocket science. Again, the local paper wrote an article about this last year. I really enjoy doing this and wouldn't mind doing it in college.
- Football stats: I did stats for my brother's Pop Warner team for about four years. I'm not sure if I'll do them again this year. I've also helped out at can shakes and equipment handouts and other things like that for a few years.
- Adopt-a-Spot: I have a playground at the beach that is my responsiblity to keep clean (with a few friends). Honestly I haven't really kept up with it this year, but last summer I cleaned it often. I liked it a lot; it was relaxing, in a way.
- Peer Leadership: Sophomore year I became a Peer Leader (it's something your classmates vote you into), which means I tutor elementary school kids once a week and I go to workshops a few times a year on topics like Anti-Bullying. I'm also tutoring an elementary school girl in math a few times a week this summer (for pay).
- Summer Jobs: The summers before my freshman and sophomore years I worked at an arcade. Last summer I didn't work, and this summer I'm a hostess at a restaurant.

Random things:
- I halfheartedly participated in the NJ Science League this year.
- I received the Eisenhower Leadership Award.
- I was a finalist for the Governor's School of Math and Science, and my rejection was probably a good thing, since I would've missed a lot of my traveling softball, and honestly, I'd rather be playing softball and having fun.

So if you made it through this novel of a post, do you have any recommendations for matches and reach schools? Any advice is appreciated.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Lafayette, Muhlenberg, Gettysburg, Franklin & Marshall would all be good solid matches for you (consider Gettysburg a safety). In Connecticut, Trinity College and Connecticut College would be good matches as well. Although they might be a bit far for you, in upstate NY, try Colgate and Hamilton, both matches. In Mass, look at Wheaton College, Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Brandeis, Boston College - all solid matches.

For reaches - Cornell, Yale, Brown, Wellesley, Swarthmore, Haverford (closer to a match), Bryn Mawr.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Any specific academic or career interests?

What soured you on Vassar - size of school, social environment, other???

By Jerseyshoregirl (Jerseyshoregirl) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

I'm not sure about academic or career interests, although I know I don't want to major in math and most likely no form of science. Possibly business or something involving journalism. Lately I've been thinking that I want to be the editor of Seventeen or something along those lines, but that will probably change.

The social environment at Vassar turned me off to the school. I didn't like Swarthmore, either, because of the social environment. I just didn't feel comfortable in either place and I know I couldn't spend four years there.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:22 am: Edit

Most LACs and Ivy's are within your reach. I would say:

REACHES:
Amherst
Brown
Columbia
Dartmouth (I know it is north of Boston, but not too far)
Harvard
MIT (excellent Business school and very strong Political Science, Philosophy and Psychology departments)
Princeton
Swarthmore
Williams
Yale

MATCHES:
Boston College
Bowdoin
Bryn Mawr
Cornell
Georgetown
Haverford
Middlebury
Mount Holyoke
Tufts
Wellesley

SAFETIES:
Smith
Syracuse

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:32 am: Edit

It sounds like maybe you want a more conservative social environment...in addition to the schools listed by others maybe Bucknell would be worth looking at..according to what I see above maybe it is a safety...or a match...

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Bucknell, Richmond, Washington & Lee, Franklin & Marhsall, Dickinson & Lafayette (R and W&L are both within a couple hours of D.C., but on the far end of your geographic area) All are on the traditional side of LACs I think. I'd disagree with all of Alexandre's matches except BC and Georgetown, and perhaps Cornell, if Swarthmore and Vassar turned you off (esp Smith, BMC, MHC, & Bowdoin).

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Allegheny, Muhlenburg, Marist, Rochester, Syracuse, LaFayette, looooooook at Mary Washington

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette and Villanova. All fine schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page