Art major and cs minor?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Art major and cs minor?
By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

exactly how helpful is a minor. i want to major in studio art, but i sort of feel like i should double major in computer science to help me give me an edge sort of. it seems possible, but sort of not. im thinking about minoring in computer science, but i'm not sure if it's worth it.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

College minors usually act to complement one's major, but not always. A combination like art and computer science is unorthodox (at least from what I've seen) and your minor would not be sufficient in securing you a job in that field. However, completion of such a minor in computer science will at least show that you possess some quantitative skills, which quite possibly could give you the edge you're looking for in finding employment with certain companies.

Hope that answer helped some.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

You might want to take a look at the Rochester Institute of Technology - excellent art program with a focus on digital art as well as very decent computer science programs. Good luck.

By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

carnegie mellon.

top art program, number one in comp sci.

By Sac (Sac) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

This is not as farfetched as it seems. Digital arts is a great field. We heard a talk recently by people connected with special effects at Lucasfilm and Industrial Light and Magic. Their message to high school students: keep taking math.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page