BME to medicine???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: BME to medicine???
By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I was at a JHU open house yesterday and they told me if I was looking to go into medicine to NOT major in BME and to major in something else, such as PoliSci, and concentrate premed.

Does this mean that if I want to major BME undergrad, I would be at a disadvantage applying to med schools for grad school?

By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

maybe BME would take away your attention to the pre-med requirements

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

They told you to major in Political Science? LOL

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

BME major is hard so the GPA will be lower which will in turn affect the chances of gaining admission to medical school.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Don't laugh too hard Kk, about 30% of students entering the top 10 Medical schools today major in a humanity or a social science. Medical schools want balanced individuals, and they like the thought of a music or English major with strong science and analytical skills.

By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

So basically I would have to decide now whether I want to become a biomedical engineer or a doctor?

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Not necessarily, you can work very hard and keep up your GPA while doing BME to keep you in the running for medical school if you decide to do that eventually.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Or you could start off in BME, and decide during college. If you can keep your GPA up, then stick with it. If you can't, then you will most likely have to choose between sticking with BME, or switching to another major so that you can get into med school.

At least, that's what I would do if I was in your situation.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I know that there are quite a few students in med school who majored in the arts and humanities as undergrads, however, just found it funny that the school officials would tell him/her to go for poli sci; it just seems so random to me.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

About a third of Duke's undergrad BME students go to med school, and I think the acceptance rate to med school is almost like 100% for them

By Justlaugh (Justlaugh) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

Whoa.

Ay Caramba, are you sure about the Duke stats? Where did you see this? That's awesome.

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:11 am: Edit

If you are interested in BME, then go for it.

However, if you are only doing BME b/c you think they have the highest acceptance rate to med school or better prepared for med school..then I think you should think this over. First of all, that major being the most prevalent in admitted med student stats is not true. Also, it's not necessarily true you are better prepared for med school. Various majors prepare you well for med school in different ways. A psych degree, a math degree, a chem degree, a poli sci degree, a communications degree, an IR degree..they also prepare you well for medicine.

It really comes down to this: if you like bme and you see yourself studying that for 4 years out of interest..then do it.

By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

The problem for me is that I'm VERY interested in BME for four years but am worried that BME undergrad will actually HURT my chances for a top tier med schools (due to the competitive nature and the low GPAs of bme students).

By Streetlight (Streetlight) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

bump

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

justlaugh: actually i can't find anything that quotes the exact acceptance rate of BME majors to med school from Duke... but this is from their site:
"About one third of the graduating biomedical engineering seniors go on to graduate school in engineering; another third go on to medical school. Although there is no assured route to medical school today, in our experience, medical school admissions committees seek biomedical engineering majors with good undergraduate grades and high scores of the Medical College Aptitude Test. We have excellent reports from medical schools on the quality of our students."
Duke's overall placement into medical schools for seniors in 2003 was 91.3%.

This wasn't supposed to turn into an ad for Duke. The information really applies to BME students from any undergraduate program.

By Tero771 (Tero771) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

I think you should major in biomedical engineering if you are interested in it. It is a very interesting field and what you learn will come in handy later. Doctors, especially at large academic medical centers, often collaborate with scientists and engineers to develop medical devices.

I think it is a very bad idea to major in something you are not interested in just to have a better GPA and increase your chance of getting into a good med school. Major in BME and work hard to get a good GPA.

I also agree that a major in BME is a very good preparation for the MCAT and medical school.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

streetlight -

personally, i think doing BME before medical school is agreat idea because for some reason if medical school doesn't work out you still have a great career!

BME is a hard major though and if you are good at physics and math and have an interest then you should do it. don't do it if you think that it will be easier to get into medical school - no major will make it easier or harder to get into. i wish i could do BME but i suck at physics and math and i know that if i were to do it then my gpa would be horrible and that would ruin my chances at med school. all i'm saying is that if you are good at the engineering tyupe subjects then go for it otherwise steer clear

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page