Looking for Quirky LACs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Looking for Quirky LACs
By Hey_La (Hey_La) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

Hey!!
I'd like some help in picking out some colleges to further investigage, and possibly visit later on. I'm looking for liberal arts colleges or small universities that are 'quirky', but with strong academics. And ummm, to be blunt, a strong queer community would be nice, too. (I'm female.)
My grades are 3.5-3.6ish, but my freshman PSATs were a 201, and my school has an amazing track record for getting people into top colleges/universities.
I know it's a little bit early to be worrying, but I'm an overseas American and I won't get many opportunities to visit colleges.
Thank you!!

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

New College of Florida, GPA is good, get good SAT and ur fine

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Reed College was rated most "quirky" in a recent review.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=617800&TICK=NEWS&STORY=/www/story/08-25-2003/0002006141&EDATE=Aug+25,+2003

LAC in Portland Oregon .
To read more about Portland
http://www.wweek.com/
http://www.portlandmercury.com/current/
Incidentally a strong gay community as well

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Several of the remaining all-female Seven Sisters colleges (Holyoke, Smith, Bryn Mawr, and Wellesley) are known to attract large, visible, and politically active lesbian communities. They also are excellent "admissions values" -- relatively high acceptance rates considering the extremely high level of academic excellence.

Outside of those schools, liberal arts colleges will vary a bit in their openness and acceptance levels. With the exception of a few hard-core "preppie" type schools most will be accepting. However, all will present some issue of small size.

For example, if the incoming freshman class is 400 people, how many gay and lesbian students can you really expect? Of those, how many will be openly gay? So, even though you would be accepted as an openly gay student, you might find the "scene" rather confining. If you become active in the Queer Student Union, will that become your over-riding identity during college? Is that what you want? Or would you prefer the open, but more anonymous existence that you might find in a very large sudent body? Think of it as being one of a few gays in an accepting small town versus one of many gays in a large city. Different experience. Weigh all that versus the usually better academics at an LAC. Those are all individual considerations.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Earlham.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

She still has a while till college but I wanted to point out that college campuses generally are fairly liberal some more than others of course but the LACs particulary the women's LACs are filled with students who are "gay till graduation" as well as students who have known about their sexuality since they were 10.
Many of the schools particulary those without those bastions of male testostorne football and frats have fairly strong representations of minorities including sexual minorities.
The nice thing that I have observed about a smaller school, at least where my daughter is attending is that it is fairly easy to have friends across interests. many different groups on campus and often students are involved in more than one.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580081509/104-2764040-4439139?v=glance

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

two words: SARAH LAWRENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a very liberal college, with great academics
and a strong homosexual community. Sarah Lawrence is very quirky, with no majors, no grades, and no final exams, despite all this, the academics are great. It is also selective. There is a small faculty-student ratio and classes are small. Good luck.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

You should consider the LACs in the Claremont Consortium (Pomona, Claremont Mckenna, Scripps (all-girls), Harvey Mudd, and Pitzer). Some would definately say Harvey Mudd was quirky. These are academically excellent schools, and what's unique about them is that they have adjacent campuses, so the total number of students is between 5,000-6,000 students. This way, you can get a good, small, LAC environment, while still having a large population of students, which equals a larger number of openly queer students. They share the Queer Resource Center which is located on Pomona's campus, and the organization is pretty active, having events almost every week. The colleges are located in LA County, so you definately won't have to worry about being isolated in a rural area, and West Hollywood will be less than an hour away.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I second Mini's suggestion of Earlham and Emerald's of Reed. Also, take a look at: Mills (Calif), Beloit (Wisc), Lewis & Clark (Oregon), Pitzer (Calif - part of the Claremont schools), Scripps (the female school of the Claremont schools), Mills (Calif), Colorado College, Hendrix College (Arkansas), Grinnell (Iowa), Skidmore (NY), Vassar (NY), Bard (NY), Evergreen (Wash), and Goucher (MD). All have active and visible gay communities.

By Hey_La (Hey_La) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

Idad, those were interesting questions. I guess it's more like, I would like to be open about my sexuality, not experience homophobia, and have lots of people around to date, but not have that define my college identity. I just figured that quirky/queer community/strong academics were a good place to start my college search.

Anyways, thank you everybody for all of the suggestions, and please keep them coming if anybody else has anymore!

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

Yeah... Wesleyan, Vassar, Oberlin, Bard, Reed,Sarah Lawrence, Hampshire, and Bennington (listed in relative order of selectivity/reputation).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page