Help with conflicting college interests

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Help with conflicting college interests
By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

I want to major in Engineering in college but I am also interested in business especially entreprenurship(sp)and would like to open my own tech firm after graduating. What college would be best suited for this? Where can I get a solid foundation in business while majoring in engineering?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

Cal-Berkeley (top 5 in Engineering and Business)
Carnegie Mellon (top 10 in Engineering and Business)
Cornell (top 10 in Engineering)
Michigan-Ann Arbor (top 5 in Engineering and Business)
MIT (#1 in Engineering and top 5 in Business)
Northwestern (top 15 in Engineering)
Penn (#1 in Business and top 25 in engineering)
Stanford (top 5 in Engineering)
Texas-Austin (top 10 in Engineering and top 10 in Business)
Wisconsin-Madison (top 15 in Business and Engineering)

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Is there a specific program which focuses both on engineering & business because I don't want to double major.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

You don't have to double major. Actually, most top universities are so rigorous, it would take you at least 5, maybe even 6 years to double-major in Engineering and Business.

You can major in Engineering and take Business classes at the business school. Then you have Industrial Engineering which mixes Engineering and Business.

I am not too familar with any top undergraduate insitution that has a major that mixes Engineering with Business as some undergraduate programs do. There are far too many introductory and required courses for a person to successfully grasp the fundamentals of both disciplines.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Good strategy would be engineeing undergrad + some good work experience + an MBA.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

I am with you Reidmc. If he majors in Electrical or Biomedical Engineering at a school:

Cal-Berkeley
Carnegie Mellon
Cornell
Duke (only for Biomedical Engineering)
Johns Hopkins
Michigan-Ann Arbor
MIT
Penn (only Bioengineering)
Purdue-West Lafayette
Stanford
Texas-Austin
Wisconsin-Madison

Then work for a Bio-Tech firm or a zippy technology firm for a few years, and then gets an MBA at a place like MIT or Stanford, he'd be in great shape.

By Yep (Yep) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

stanford has the engineering management major...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Seems to me that the perfect choice might be
Olin in Boston - it's a strong engineering school associated with Babson, a very good business school, and, best of all, there's no tuition. Downside is its small size and relative newness.

Another suggestion would be Carnegie Mellon which has a six year BS/MBA program.

By 3togo (3togo) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit

> stanford has the engineering management major...

great idea and there are other varients in engineering schools that give a big flavor or business

* operations management
* operations research
* industrial engineering
* engineering economics

some of these programs will include accounting, finance, and human resources courses that will get you well on your way to a business degree. I was an operations research & industrial engineering major (1 long named major) as an undergrad at Cornell and when I went for my MBA I placed out of 5-6 of the first year core requirements because of courses I took as an undergrad ... I had a big leg up because of my undergraduate major.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Olin dig it

By Toblin (Toblin) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I agree, Olin in MA. You'll take many of your non-engineering courses across the street at Babson. Olin's mission is to educate engineers with a broader perspective, weather it be in business or the arts. Very tough to get accepted. They only admit 75 per class right now. High quality of education and life, (everything is new), plus free tuition. Other expenses add up to about $15K. Not yet ABET accredited but will be in 2006 after they have their first graduating class.

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

Don't know your stats, but you should look at Maryland as well. Top 25 in business and Engineering. If you can get into some of the schools mentioned above, this school could be an excellent safety. If your stats fall short of the top schools, then this would be a great match.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:29 am: Edit

Alexandre, are those rankings for undergrad, and appreciate the source, tks

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:44 am: Edit

Yes, those rankings are for undergrad. The only difference between undergrad and grad is that schools like Northwestern, Stanford and Cornell would also have top Business programs. But they do not at the undergraduate level. My source is the US News and World Reprt. But remember rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt. For example, more than 5 universities lay claim to the top 5 spots. In Engineering, MIT, Stanford, Cal-Berkeley and Caltech are definite top 5. But CMU, Cornell, Illinois, Michigan and Georgia Teach all have departments worthy of a top 5 ranking. In Business, Wharton, Michigan and Sloan are definitely top 5. But UVA, Haas and Stern all have a legitimate claim at the top 5.

By Anovice (Anovice) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:06 am: Edit

Lehigh has a combined business/engineering program... it's fairly hard to get into.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page