Questions about schools on my (long) list and looking to add

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Questions about schools on my (long) list and looking to add
By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

wondering if anyone has anything to say about these schools:

im not going to post all my stats, but my SAT is V710 and M710, GPA is 4.1 W and my EC's are average, nothing great,rank is top 10% also, i'm hispanic american

Schools:
Wasdhington University in St. Louis
Vassar
Rhodes
Sweet Briar
Notre Dame
Sarah Lawrence
Barnard
Washington and Lee
Columbia
Sewanee
Transylvania
Macalester
Tufts
Swarthmore
Bryn Mawr
Case Western Reserve
Johns Hopkins
Geaorgetown

Also, looking for more schools to add
I'd like to be near or in a city, with a nice campus, and fairly to highly selective, small-medium with focus on liberal arts, not into research univeristies
I know not all of these r in cities, but im also keeping my options open
r any of these research universities?
I plan on majoring in history, and maybe voice
Thanx for the help, im just looking into these schools
not sure i wanna actually be in NYC, maybe ill do graduate work there, or move there after school, anyone have any advice on moving to new york? lol, is it VERY expensive?

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

also, i should mention I had C's in physics junior year, up until fourth quarter when i received an A, and one C on an English exam, not sure how this will affect admissions

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Might want to add: NYU (not much of a campus), U of Chicago, Northwestern, Brown (not much of a city)

Johns Hopkins is certainly a research university, but for your intended majors is that really a concern?

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, WUSTL, Columbia, Notre Dame and a few others are research universities.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Nice list, and your URM status will be helpful at most of the schools on it. For history, Bates, Colby, Carleton, Kenyon and Colgate might be worth investigating.

You do have some real variety in school size and social environments on the list. Student body makeup varies a bit too. Regarding the social environment, Macalester and Washington & Lee are about as different as LACs can get. Some thinking about these factors may help you focus your list a bit.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

Good list. :)

By Dave72 (Dave72) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Given your interest in music as well as history, I would certainly suggest adding Oberlin to your list. It's the only first-rate LAC with a world-class music conservatory attached.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page