Engineering undecided

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Engineering undecided
By Ck61188 (Ck61188) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

at the moment i'm between 5 different areas of engineering (chemical, civil, aerospace, biomed, and mechanical). At Purdue they have this first year program where you get core curriculum plus an engineering seminar type thing where they bring in teachers and students from each area so that you can figure out which is best for you. Are there some other schools with a similar program? so far i've found RPI, but they just let you take engineering electives the first two years... so you can't get exposed to all areas, only a couple. any other ideas?

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Univ of Florida has exactly the same type of program...my son is enrolled in it.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

RIT has a similar Undeclared Engineering program to Purdue's where students attend seminars throughout their first year. They also take hands-on classes to expose them to some of the aspects of the various engineering fields.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

At Rutgers School of Engineering all freshmen take a common curriculum. You don't declare a specialty until you have completed your freshmen year. (Assuming you're still there).

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

At my school UIUC you have to declare a major but all majors in engineering basically take the same courses their first year. And from what i have heard its pretty easy to change majors within engineering

By Pamvanw (Pamvanw) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Virginia Tech has a mandatory class that introduces you to all engineering fields during your first year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page