Stem Cell Research Website

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Stem Cell Research Website
By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I just thought this was humorous if you read this article.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0225/p01s03-usec.html

What's funny about it is this:
"We have more PhDs per square mile than anywhere [else] in the country," brags Micah Rasmussen, a spokesman for Gov. James McGreevey. "That's a reason why so many pharmaceutical companies have located here, and people make these type of decisions every day."
on the state of NJ

That's just funny because it epitomizes the misrepresentation of data to make a point. The state of new jersey is in fact the most densely populated state in the nation, thus it has the most people per square mile, and naturally should have the most PHD's per square mile in the nation.
You know what I'm saying?

Sorry - this post is pointless i was just seeing if anyone else thought that was humorous

By Massdad (Massdad) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

It's even funnier than that. The reason the pharmaceutical companies are there is because NJ was the seat of the fine chemical industry many years ago. They did not even have many Ph.D.s employed when they were founded.

Besides, how would the dear Gov. explain why the drug companies are all moving their R&D to other parts of the country, like Boston, where Merck is finishing a huge new building, or San Diego, where J&J built a facility a few years back?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page