Opinions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Opinions?
By Yourmother (Yourmother) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

ok, say things don't quite work out (i don't get accepted, can't pay...) and i can't go to my first choice college, which at this point is Bryn Mawr (but i suppose that could change). which do you think would be better:
1. Less competitive, but decent private college w/ merit aid, which may never live up to said first choice
2. SUNY Binghamton (one of if not the most "established" SUNYs, assuming I get in which i think i probably would, but not sure)
3. SUNY Buffalo, where it is almost certain i would be in honors program and would probably get significant $ considering my grades and test scores
in case you haven't noticed, i live in new york state. not totally sure about major but seriously thinking biology
i want to here what people think about this, thanks!

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Either of the SUNYs are very good, from what I hear. Binghamton especially. UB has a very high rating for unhappy students though, so you might want to visit it before deciding to go. And this is just personal preference, but the climate in Binghamton is kinder too. I don't know what other private schools you're looking at, but Binghamton at least can compare with quite a few.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Buffalo is a fine school for biology, but you have to like the city and the weather.

Depending on your stats, essays and the like, you might be able to get into a pretty darn good (not just "decent") college with some merit aid.

Sounds like you will be doing a lot more thinking over the next couple of months, which would be perfectly fine.

By Yourmother (Yourmother) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

yeah, thanks. i'm very used to harsh winters so that's not much of a problem. i visited buffalo but not binghamton. i wasn't blown away by the city and am kind of apprehensive about what kinds of things i would do there so that's kind of an issue. anyone know a lot about SUNYs? i need to have some state options but am having trouble.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

I don't know everything about SUNYs, but I know some, as I also need some state schools. What do you want to know? Binghamton and Geneseo are supposed to be the best. I haven't visited either, but from friends that have, Geneseo is one of those places that either you love or you hate.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

I vote for #1. It's consistent with your first choice, and I assume there is a reason you are picking a small LAC.

Many less competitive LAC's still offer an excellent experience.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

I vote for option 1.

By Yourmother (Yourmother) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

thanks everyone,i've been getting different readings from friends and family. i know someone who went to geneseo and i think she had a good experience but i just can't picture myself there. anyone know anything about stonybrook? i know it's supposed to be good for science but i heard it's a big commuter school and a bit "dead" on campus. oh, and this is stupid but i noticed i wrote "here" instead of "hear"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page