Northeastern (Wow!)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Northeastern (Wow!)
By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Northeastern's Admissions Selectivity rating jumped from 77 to 91 in the latest Princeton Review Best 351 College Guide:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1022996<ID=1

This may signal a significant rise in the U.S. News Rankings when the new rankings issue comes out later this month.

Lenk is not going to like this.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

HAHA nobody cares dude you mention this crap daily and everything focuses on US NEWS cant you jsut be proud of your school because you enjoyed it?

the selectivity rank of UCR is also as high as UCLA so might wanna question that rating system anyone who has applied to the UC`s knows UCR will admit you even if everyone denies you and you dont even apply to UCR.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

LOl, calm down dude, my post was directed towards Lenk. But the selectivity rank is as high as Babson and a host of other good schools, so I wouldn't discount it completely.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

hmm...yeah it appears PR has updated the selectivity ratings.. my school (Lehigh) went up to a 96 .... i see that NYU went up to a 98

...not sure what they are basing the selectivity ratings on though since the sat scores.. and other stats are all still old

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

George washington and Boston U jumped up to 97's
...as did Tulane and U of Maryland

I'm lookin gat it more now.. it seems everything is at least a 95... (syracuse at a 96?) ...what is the point in rating selectivity if you are going to give virtually every school a high rating

I'm sensing some serious flaws here... carniege mellon is only at a 92 while U of Delaware is at a 95??

By Mini (Mini) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Why is higher selectivity a good thing? (It only affects the students who didn't get in, and measures the ability of the school to attract applicants it didn't want.)

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

when yales selectivity is 99 and UCR is 97 lol yea i think this is crap.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

lol.. berkeley is only a 96... while ucla and ucsd are 99's

ucsc and uci are somehow 98's

By Palomino (Palomino) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

The website listings don't correspond with the numbers in the new PR college guide I saw in the bookstore. Online, it says Williams has a 98, but the book says 99.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

I have been saying it for a while folks, the Princeton Review is as flawed as they come.

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

seriously Northeastern more selective then Babson? University of Maryland, Boston University and Lehigh all at or above a 96. Since when does Syracuse get a 96 rating?

We have confirmation Princeton Review is seriously flawed.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

considering lehigh used to be a 92 its not that big of a jump enarang..

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

defend your school to the max of course.

Seriously Bentley is a 90. Syracuse a 96. Boston University a 97?

Northeastern a 91?

ScubaSteve I don't think there is much issue for debate here if Princeton Review does indeed keep these selectivity ratings we know something is flawed.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I know that the ratings are somewhat flawed. The point of my post was to screw with Lenk. I have not seen him on the board for a while and miss his posts.

But seriously though, there are a number of schools that are rated fairly low by PR. Some are rated as low as 60. Example:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1023844&LTID=1

By Monkeyqueen (Monkeyqueen) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

When I first saw some of the ratings I almost had a panic attack, but then I looked at the admissions info and it seemed off. princeton review isn't very reliable is it?

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I really not to flame anyone thought during high school that northeastern was a womens college for northwestern =/.

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

haha whoa CMU took a slam at 90 PR is a funny site...sucks its totally useless

By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

nah, now cmu is at a 98!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

uc davis is a 99 lol... berkeley is apparently still only a 96 (the lowest ranking lol)

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

Goodness, did anyone ever stop to think that there may have been a glitch?

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:47 am: Edit

northeastern isnt a noname 3rd tier college its very elite! h0h0h0h0h0

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit

Actually, Northeastern is quite selective. It recieves about 25,000 applicants for 2800 spots. The acceptance rate is about 40%. Sure its not elite, but its still a good school.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

i know alan you tell us every other day a kid cant ask about a school for math in california without you talking about northeastern =P

By Hayden (Hayden) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Alan5, US News lists Northeastern's acceptance rate as 67%, Princeton Review lists it as 47%. I looked on the university's website, and couldn't find it. Where did you fiind the 40% ? Thanks.

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

When CCers don't agree that totally means that there are glitches and flaws.... Some crazy PR person must have simply picked numbers at random for all of these schools.....WTH

What... is... the... big... deal...? Are people trying to defend their schools? You can at least wait for US News to mouth off and "try" to prove to everyone on CC that your school really isn't falling behind on selectivity.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page