Lots Reaches and Safeties--- Good Matches???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Lots Reaches and Safeties--- Good Matches???
By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

I've been using Princeton Review and other college search sources and it mostly seems like there are many reach schools for me (BC, UVA, Penn, etc.) and many safeties (Villanova, Loyola, SJU...)

I'm a white female with a 1310 SAT (taking it again) and a 3.73 gpa. I am involved in several ECs that I've done for 4 years with some leadership. Not much volunteering. And I don't stand out in any sport.

Any suggestions for good match schools? (I want to go somewhere where I feel challenged, but not stupid. And probably not in a rural area.)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Katielady, I recommend you use other sources than the Princeton Review. I find it to be inadequately inaccurate most of the time. Have you taken any AP classes? AP exams? Is your 3.75 GPA weighted or unweighted? What was your SAT breakup? Planning on taking SATIIs?

By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I've been using collegeboard.com and other random websites. I've taken alot of honors courses at my all girls Catholic prep school. And I'm taking AP English, AP Stat, and Hon Calc next year. Weighted GPA 3.73. I don't even know what it is unweighted. And 670V 660M. I plan on taking at least the writing a math SAT II. I don't know if/which for a third. Thanks for your help!

By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Any ideas of some good match schools? Preferably around the Northeast. Not sure about my major or the size of the school (not too small tho).

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Apply to Michigan in September rolling. Will give you a huge advantage and make it a matchy reach

By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

How's this list look? Am I being un-realistic?

Reaches: (Won't apply to all. Need to do more research to figure out which ones I really like)

Boston College
College of William and Mary
Georgetown (my parents want me to, though I'm not gonna get in)
UPenn
UVA
Vanderbilt

Good Match:
Holy Cross
GW
UNC- Chapel Hill
U of Richmond
Michigan (match/reach)

Safeties:
Villanova (safety/match)
Loyola in MD
Penn State
SJU

By Takeheart (Takeheart) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Katie, I don't think that you're being unrealistic at all, especially if you would be happy at any of those schools. Just to give you a heads up though, I think that UPenn requires 3 SAT IIs. I may be wrong, but that's something that you should find out. Also, I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that Georgetown will sometimes give advantages to kids who are applying from a catholic school, so don't count yourself out there.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

UNC is a reach for out of staters Katie. William and Mary and UVA are very tough for out of staters too.

By the way, what do you wish to study?

By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Yeah, I did know that. I definitely won't be applying to both William and Mary and UVA. Which one's better anyway? Just wondering.

I'm pretty much undecided right now. I'm thinking about Business (just because I don't know what else and it's money, haha), Psychology, or possibly English (maybe high school english teacher).

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

W&M and UVA are very different. For Business, UVA is clearly better. But the other subjects are very generic at the undergraduate level. I personally prefer UVA because I don't like Williamburg. Cute and historic, but boring if you ask me.

By Katielady (Katielady) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Oh hmm, which do you think I'd have a better shot getting into? Or is it about equal? Oh and how about applying undecided, is that a bad decision? Just in general. Is it better to declare a major and then switch if I change my mind?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I think W&M is a little tougher to get into, but at that level, it is difficult to say. As for declaring a major, it depends. You have to evaluate each situation on its own. I personally never had to declare a major when I applied to colleges because all the universities I applied to had schools (Arts and Sciences, Business etc...). Still, I usually wrote down Economics as a first choice and Physics as a second choice.

By Par72 (Par72) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:10 am: Edit

Holy Cross would be a very good match/reach as HC has top notch academics. Agree that UNC is extremely difficult for out of state applicants. Not sure BC is in same class as Gtown, Penn or UVA.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

Hey there...

Smith and Mt. Holyoke would be good matches or match/safties for you. Although they are women's colleges, they are part of the Five College Consortium with Amherst, UMassachusetts and Hampshire. Students at any of those member colleges can take classes at the others. Thus, even though the two colleges for women might seem different than co-ed schools, they are not--as men also take classes on Smith's and Mt. Holyoke's respective campuses.

Also, Bryn Mawr and Scripps are also they other women's colleges that I would suggest. Bryn Mawr has a very close relationship with Haverford whereby women can live or major on either campus. There are also men taking classes, majoring in departments, and living at Bryn Mawr. In addition, students can take classes at Swartmore and UPenn, although the latter is more of a hassle.

Scripps, as part of the Claremont Colleges, which include Pitzer, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, and Harvey Mudd is also an excellent college and an admissions bargin for women. You can take classes at the other schools, plus The Claremont Graduate School.

I only suggest these women's colleges because they are great colleges with a small school feel and university like resources. Many women ignore these schools because they are not co-ed, although in parctical terms, men study, socialize and, in some cases, live at those colleges.

They are also admissions bargins for women (acceptance rates hover around 50%) and most are generous with financial aid. I would suggets you look at them as matches or safeties. They are also great at sending women to graduate school, and, as NLACs, have better oportunities to do undergraduate research than at some of the schools on your list (because you are not competing with grad students for special programs or projects).

Just my 2 cents. Thought you might want to look at these fine schools.
:)

PS--all of the NLACs have a pre-business core which makes grad-school MBA admissions very likely. As for Psychology and English, all the schools mentioned, have very good to excellent departments.

By Momofthree (Momofthree) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Katielady

Vanderbilt and The University of the South, both in TN, have excellent programs in English. U of South (Sewanee) would be a safety, Vandy a reach/match, I think. Sewanee is beautiful, though rural, Vandy in the middle of Nashville. Good luck with your search!

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

vandy-reach, my opinion, considering your 3.73 is weighted and you say you've taken a lot of honors classes. how does your school weigh classes? regular=4.0, honors/AP=5.0? it depends.
also, do you know your class rank?

By Katielady (Katielady) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Yeah I would consider Vanderbilt a reach for me. I'm not sure how my school weighs classes. I can check. But my school doesn't rank because it's so small. Thanks for all the help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page