Looking for MASSIVE GRADE INFLATION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Looking for MASSIVE GRADE INFLATION
By Cornelius (Cornelius) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

I'm looking for a good school, not an Ivy League school, but reputable, with very high grade inflation.

Strangely, I would really like to go to UChicago or Berkeley, but I just want to know about less competitive schools and my other options.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

Stanford

By Brujim (Brujim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

USC

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Cornelius said he was looking for a non-Ivy League school, so Stanford doesn't count.

By Tosg (Tosg) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Stanford is not in the Ivy League.

Ivy-caliber, certainly. Ivy league? No.

But, you're probably right in assuming that the original poster is not looking for a school as selective as is Stanford.

By Sokkermom (Sokkermom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Stanford is not in the Ivy league.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

okay, i think we can all agree stanford isn't ivy league, lets go back to helping the posters actual question

By Mike555 (Mike555) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

www.gradeinflation.org

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I was waiting for that...

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Stanford and Harvard might have high gpas, but ask anyone who goes there and theyll tell you it is very hard to get an A. These are the smartest people in the country who got strait A's in high school, so a b+ avg in college is not inflated.

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Stanford and Harvard might have high gpas, but ask anyone who goes there and theyll tell you it is very hard to get an A. These are the smartest people in the country who got strait A's in high school, so a b+ avg in college is not inflated.

That doesn't explain why students at other schools don't have grades nearly as inflated. Are you trying to say that Stanford/Harvard kids are much smarter than MIT kids, for instance? There's definitely an inflation problem. A friend I have at Princeton told me that they are beginning to issue grade quotas in intro-level humanities classes. As in no more than a certain percent can get an A.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I think mit has a lower average than hyps because it is almost all math/sci/engineering majors, which are lower at hyp as well.

By A2a2 (A2a2) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Stanford's reputation is definitely that, once you get in, it's not all that difficult.
I find this post amusing - why would you ever include "grade inflation" as an important criterion for picking a school.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Depends what you want to major in. If you want engineering you should consider MIT or GA tech or CIT. If you want medicine you should consider Washington University at ST. Louis or Emory.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

Dont employers know which unis practise grade inflation? Some source noted that Cali employers prefer Berkeley Engin. grads to Stanfords because of grade inflation. Worth a ponder isnt it?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Want good grades? Find a decent school that's just below your stats in terms of admissions. You'll probably find yourself at the top of the class if you work hard enough.

By Cornelius (Cornelius) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Just like everything on this site, this has devolved into MIT v. Stanford and talk about Ivies. Jesus Christ, you people are obsessed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page