Which Claremont School?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Which Claremont School?
By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

My dd plans to major in Russian. She also thinks she would be interested in studying psychology and/or linguistics although she has not had the opportunity to take a class in either.

Since so many kids change majors during their college careers, we prefer a "traditional" liberal arts curriculum.

1) Are any of the Claremont schools known for their lanugage programs -- and specifically, good Russian program?

2)Which Claremont school overall would be a good match for my dd's interests? (Pomona would be a super-reach.) We were thinking Scripps but not sure about Pitzer (beyond the strength in psych).

3) We are hearing mixed things about how easy/difficult it may be to cross-register among the colleges. Is it as easy as they make it sound? Is it tougher to cross-register for lower level classes or upper-level classes?

4) how hard is it to transfer between colleges once you are in? For example, if you are accepted at Pitzer and did well in classes, could you transfer to Pomona?

Thanks!

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I have heard that Pomona is hard to transfer into but I think the others are easier such as CMC, Scripps. I know Pomona and Pitzer are both good for psychology and I believe it is easy to transfer into classes that are not available at your school.This is just my second hand knowlege as of now. My S starts Pomona this fall and my D is looking at Scripps and Pitzer.

By Almma (Almma) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

I'll be attending Scripps this fall and it seems like a wonderful school. No matter which school she goes to she will have the opportunity to take classes at all of the others.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I'm going to be a sophomore at Pomona, and I found it pretty easy for me and my friends to cross-register at the other schools. It would probably be really especially easy for your daughter to cross-enroll in Russian classes.

Pomona would probably be the best choice for her studies of interest, then Scripps, and perhaps Pitzer. It's pretty hard to transfer to Pomona in general, so I wouldn't count on that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page