CS Grad Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: CS Grad Schools
By Brujim (Brujim) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Hi,

I am in the middle of selecting a CS grad school in the US for the coming spring semester. I am an international student and I would like to attend a decent and yet inexpensive school. Well, probably I should prioritize my selection to low cost school because I have exhausted all my financial resources by getting a bachelor's degree from the University of California. I no longer can afford to attend grad school in California due to its skyrocket high tuition and living expenses. Basically, my preference will be low tuition and living expenses and easily finding a job either on-campus or off-campus.

I would assume that school (non-Ivy league) in the south or mid-west would be cheaper than both east and west coasts, correct me if I am wrong! I believe you good people out there will shade some lights for me.

Thanks a lot...Jim

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

Are you looking for MS or PhD programs? PhD programs tend to give full funding (tuition and a stipend for living expenses) to most students, so you may want to apply to them even if you're just looking for an MS. Some MS students may also get funding by working as a teaching assistant (TA) or research assistant (RA). The midwest tends to have the lowest living costs. For example, my apartment at UIUC cost about $250 a month and it was a block away from the CS building.

By Brujim (Brujim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:18 am: Edit

I am going for MS.

By Brujim (Brujim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

It seems like going for phd will get more funding opportunity.

Is there a school that will accept me into phd for cs and provide funding for me with the following academic results?

1. bachelor's gpa: 3.73 from university of california
2. gre: 1000/1600

By Brujim (Brujim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

bumpity bump bump pls help!

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Which UC? There's a significant difference between a 3.73 from Berkeley EECS - one of the toughest programs in the country - and UCR. Also, what was your GRE breakdown? The Q is much more important than the V and A. Do you have any research experience?

By Brujim (Brujim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

UC Irvine. I had done 1 quarter of individual research with a professor specializes in networking; basically doing some coding on desktop and ported to PDA. Later, trying to come up with a wireless protocol for multicasting.

With that low gre, I wonder if there is school even wanna take me for phd?

By Brujim (Brujim) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

bump

By Brujim (Brujim) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

I am still looking for some advices, please help

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

If you got a 3.73 in CS at UCI, there's no reason you can't get a 780-800 Quant score, which is what grad schools are looking for. If you can get good recommendations too, you should apply to top 25 schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page