CONSIDERING YALE???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: CONSIDERING YALE???
By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I live in NC and was considering applying to yale regular decision as a reach school. Should I even waste the money to apply? I could really use some help. THANKS A LOT!!!

Here are my stats...

AP Stats 4
Ap Chemistry 4
Ap US history 5
SAT 1270 (680 M, 590 V, will be retaking in oct., should improve substancially, goal is a 1400)
School on block schedule, max APs per year is 3 (will be taking AP Biology, Calculus, & English-Literature)
3 years Varsity Basketball and cross country (captain)(All-Conference)
Will be 3 sport athlete next year (will run
track, 300 hurdles & one mile in spring)
Chief Junior Marshall
Student Body Treasurer
NHS VP
"Best Latin Student" Award for 2003-2004 school
year
Key Club
Student Government
Latin Club
Latin Honor Society
Latin Program Leadership Council
National Honor Society
Interact Club
Science Club
Dream Team
Senior Mentor
Students Against Drunk Driving (S.A.D.D.)
History Club
Prom Committee
part time employee at loyal engineering firm(30 hours a week)
Boys' State
Jr. Red Cross Club (involved only during freshman year)
C.P.R. Certified
Toast Masters
Piedmont Swing Society
National Association of Rocketry
Freedom's Answer Coordinator
50+ hours of community service (Odyssey of the
Mind, Loaves & Fishes, Special Olympics, etc.)
Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen
Award (voted on by students, given to one
person in my school)
Character Award (voted by faculty, given to one
male & female in each grade level)
Burlington Writers Club Fiction Contest 2nd Place

Thanks for your comments, again, I could really, really use some advice. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

By Cfunkexonian (Cfunkexonian) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

why are your ec's so random? if you list all that it's not gonna look very impressive. which ec's mean the most to you?

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I was just listening everything I had been a member of over my high school career. I sort of was a member of everything at first simply to find out what I liked to do. My biggest things are sports (Varsity Bball,CC, & track), foreign language (latin club, honor society,etc.), Freedom's Answer, Odyssey of the Mind, and my job (engineering firm). Thanks again for everyone's help.

By Admissionsrep (Admissionsrep) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

If Yale is truly your first choice, perhaps you should go for it. I understand how students use ED or EA, to give them a leg up at a school that is very acceptable, but perhaps not their true first choice. My sense is that in many of these instances, the person will wonder for many years, "I wonder if I would have gotten in". It's better to get the thin envelope and put this issue to rest.

Having said all of that, I think that YALE is a real real unlikely acceptance for you unless you have a real hook that brings value to Yale, in an area that they find hard to find in most of their applicants.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

What is your GPA?
What is your class rank?
Are you a URM?
Will you be playing college sport?
Are you at a school with strong academic reputation that will show you can handle an intense and demanding program?

Your SAT scores are way low for their ranges V690-710, M 690-770. I don't know how you can predict your future scores based on your current one??? I read somewhere that Yale last year admitted the highest avg SAT scoring f'man year last year at 1500 avg.

By Dukeda1 (Dukeda1) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

GPA 4.0 unweighted
4.79 weighted
CLASS RANK: 1 of 280
white...unfortunately (jk)
if i attend yale i will definitely be trying out for basketball (walk-on)
school is just a typical public school w/ most of the top students attending UNC-Chapel Hill, Davidson, etc. and a few have gone to Notre Dame and Air Force Academy

Thanks again!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page