Miami Ohio

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Miami Ohio
By Infopls (Infopls) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

What's the good and bad points? Almost sounds ideal. What about class size and getting into classes?
Excessive frats and drinking????

By Dlevit (Dlevit) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Personally i would go against Miami University. I lived in Cincinnati and have been to Miami University a number of times for swimming. It has a pretty nice campus but itís in a rural area. Itís a very white dominated area. Almost all the students are average white kids from Cincinnati. Personally...Ohio State is a much better deal.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

It has a ton of reputation in Indiana/Ohio. Often considered the top public university in the area. Excessive frats and drinking yes. Excessively attractive people? yes.

you need about top 30%, 3.5, 25 ACT or higher. For instate OH if you don't like OSU and can't afford a place like Michigan it might be worth it. For out of state... no way.

By Believersmom (Believersmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Dlevit-I beg to differ with you on several points:

Comparing Ohio State and Miami are like comparing apples to steaks. They are vastly different from each other in almost every way except that they both have an outstanding academic reputation.

As for White dominated area. Every university of similar size [about 15,000 undergrad] except black colleges would probably appear that way to a casual visitor. I encourage anyone interested in the minority population stats to check out their website, it is all spelled out there.

Most students are from Cinci-not so, the true stats on this are on their website.

Yes Miami is in a rural, yet very hilly wooded area of Ohio[not cornfields]. But it is a short 45 minute drive to Cinci if you want that on the weekends. During the week and school nights, most students prefer a more safe & quiet atmosphere than what an inner city giant university can provide. Also of note, Miami's campus on the weekends does not empty out despite the close prox of Cinci, In my never be it humble opinion, because there are so many things to do on campus.

Greek life does not dominate the campus [about 30% go greek and of those some wait until sophomore or even junior year to pledge].

Drinking & partying - no more than most colleges. When I went there there were a couple jokes about that, " We are Miami University - the academic one." [Miami in Florida is U of Miami]

For more detailed info, please see my post on the Individual Schools by Alpha board. Or feel free to e-mail me directly. What does your son or daughter want to study?

To sum up my feelings: Miami looks exactly how most people picture college to look and for me it was love at first sight. That love continues today 25 years after I first saw her. My four years there were idyllic.

By Mezzomom (Mezzomom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Believersmom: I don't have any current knowledge of Miami, but I have to say there's something about the school that builds an incredible amount of loyalty. My parents both went to Miami, and I spent many a weekend there for games or Alumni Weekend. Even though my parents have been gone for years, I still keep in touch with some of their friends...all Miami grads. When they all graduated (late 40s-early 50s), they all ended up working in the Cleveland area, and as newlyweds, met every third Saturday of the month. They dubbed this group "Poverty Club", and to this day, those that are still alive get together on the third Saturday when they're all in town.

It was disappointing for my parents and me when we moved out of Ohio while I was in high school; it put Miami out of reach for my parents financially so I couldn't go there. In fact, I'm the only one in my extended family who did NOT go there. And like you, every one of my relatives speaks fondly of their Miami years.

By Believersmom (Believersmom) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Mezzomom-
:o)
My husband jokes every time I am together with a Miami friend, "What do they DO to you people there?" I once heard a stat that Miami is 75% funded by alumni contribution-don't know if it is true but Miami did well by me in prepping for real world and they continue to honor and support alumni with numerous special programs.
By the time my daughter was 4 she was hooked, when my husband asked her once if she knew what Miami was she answered, "That's where you go after High School." Alas, she is interested in a Musical Theatre degree and that is one of the few degrees Miami does not offer :o(, at least not yet[four years before she grads HS]...

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

beliversmom-

I know several people that go there. I have even spent a few nights there myself. Trust me, greek life and partying do in fact dominate campus. It is very white, very upper middle class, conservative, work hard enough for A-Bs, play hard on the weekend type of school. It might be the best public university in OH, but compared to other states in the area like MI, WI, PA, IL, it has a long way to go academically, too.

By Infopls (Infopls) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

The frats and hazing are what trouble me When do people pledge - how long- what types of initiation?

By Jnm123 (Jnm123) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

Hey---

Our family, including prospective student D, visited Oxford in May. Visually, it's everything you'd want a college campus to be. Red brick, trees, self-contained. It's geared towards the undergrad, and for their specialty majors one could not pick much better. Sure, it's Anglo-dominated. If you want more diversity, pick the other Miami.

By Believersmom (Believersmom) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Infopls-The best way to research those questions is to contact the campus Panhellenic council or Inter-fraternity council. Ask them pointed questions about how many reports of hazing, etc. and which frats were involved. Miami does not hesitate to slap a suspension on a fraternity and that can kill a chapter so they are pretty careful.

Fonzie-on what are you basing this statement:
"...but compared to other states in the area like MI, WI, PA, IL, it has a long way to go academically, too."?
Also, how many other campuses have you spent time on? Are your friends in Fraternities and are they male?

I base my assessment of a school's academic excellence by two things: difficulty to entrance & career placement. Check out www.muohio.edu and if you can't find the stats there I suggest calling Miami and asking the questions.

By Believersmom (Believersmom) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Infopls-just realized I never answered your question about class size, sorry. Entry level 100 classes can be large lectures 60-100, but the instructors [who even in those levels are generally NOT TAs or GAs]hold office hours and since few freshman take advantage of these, it is very easy to get clarification on a lecture or questions answered. By the time a student is a sophomore, class sizes go down to 12-25.

Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page