Why is it HYPS?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Why is it HYPS?
By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I understand why Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are included. But why is Princeton regarded so highly? By many measures it lags behind the other three. It has no strong graduate schools. It is the easiest one of all four to get into. It practices early decision to inflate its yield rate, and it loses more cross admits to HYS than vice-versa. Even the gallup polls show that the public perceives Harvard to be in first place, Stanford and Yale tied for second, and Princeton isn't even mentioned.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Thats a bunch of BS. Princeton is arguably the best undergraduate education in the country precisely BECAUSE it has few grad schools. It is not the easiest to get into by any stretch, much harder than the schools following it. ED has been their policy for a very long time, along with many other top schools.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I think most of those charges are wrong.

1) "It has no strong graduate schools". How do you figure?

It is #2 among Ivys in Engineering.

Princeton is also as good as or better than Yale in many subjects.

#9 in biology (tied with Yale)
#14 in Chemistry (also tied with Yale)
#9 in Computer Science (ahead of Harvard and Yale)
#11 in Geology (ahead of Yale)
#2 in Mathematics (tied with Stanford and Harvard and ahead of Yale)
#3 in Physics (tied with Harvard and Stanford and ahead of Yale)
#2 in Economics (tied with Stanford and Harvard and ahead of Yale)
#6 in English (behind H,S and Y)
#1 in History (tied with Yale and ahead of Stanford and Harvard)
#6 in Political Science (behind H,P and Y)
#11 in Psychology (behind H,S and Y)
#9 in Sociology (ahead of Yale)

#2 "It is the easiest one of all four to get into". Sorry to say that quality of education and selectivity are not related. Everytime I hear someone correlate the two, I think I am in the presence of an uneducated person. But that claim is wrong anyway, since all 4 have almost identical numbers. They all accept between 9 and 11%. Actually, Stanford's acceptance rate is 12%. Its mean SAT score is slightly lower than Harvard, exactly the same as Yale and slightly higher than Stanford. And Stanford and Harvard have fewer students who graduated at the top 10% of their high school class.

#3 When most people think Universities, Princeton comes to mind as often as Y and S. Harvard is indeed in a league of its own.

#4 Who the hell cares what the public thinks! 80% of the public doesn't even have a college degree and more than half of those who do have a college degree don't have it from a recognized institution.

Fact is, there are FIVE universities of equal stature. Havard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford and Yale.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

actually i think yale loses cross admits to princeton. not 100% sure, though.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Well put, Alexandre.

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Watch it I don't know about the MIT. However, yes Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford are considered perhaps the best academic institutions in the country. MIT would be the best school hands down for the sciences and more techinal related fields. However, given its majority in the sciences it is different then Harvard, yale, Princeton or Stanford.

I think when someone says they went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford it is indeed an eye opener but saying you went to Harvard is just completely in a league of its own to me.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

MIT will surprise you Collegehelper. I know universities inside out. Among research universities, MIT is extremely well rounded.

It is tops in Business and Engineering, bot at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

It is #1 in Economics, #10 in Political Science, #10 in Psychology and top 10 in Philosophy. True it is not good in Languages, History and English, but in everything else MIT rocks.

But one thing is clear... Princeton takes a backseat to nobody.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Princeton is in no way inferior to Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. That is utter BS.

While Harvard may be perceived by the general public to be in a league of its own, I think the quality of education at any HYPS school is the same.

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Princeton is not the easiest to get into. It has the same acceptance rate as Stanford and even lower than Yale.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Don't you think Harvard is only considered in a league of it's own by people who don't have a clue? Most of the highly knowledgable people I know realize that Harvard is probably the inferior undergad experience in this group.

By Reasonabledad (Reasonabledad) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Mysticwistful and T-banana, where do you find your cross-admission data?

And I will add that to many in the world, MIT is in a league of it's own (perhaps with Cal Tech) among American universities, and the HYPS are a half-step lower in prestige.

But having said this I will refute my own statement. Comparing universities to identify the top five or top six is nonsense: a university education is what you make of it. Universities are not factories that transform each individual into a new "higher level" of human being. What you get out of the experience depends much more on what you put into it, than on where you go, at least among the research schools.

By Blueberrypie (Blueberrypie) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

"Princeton is not the easiest to get into. It has the same acceptance rate as Stanford and even lower than Yale."

This year Princeton lost out to Yale in both admissions and yield.

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I thought official numbers have not been released yet.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Why would MIT be considered better than HYPS in many parts of the world? That's preposterous. Although that may be the case with Princeton and Yale (which haven't established an international reputation yet), that is certainly untrue for Harvard and Stanford, which are kings of the international scene. Plus, domestically Yale and Princeton are far more recognized than either MIT or Caltech.

By Blueberrypie (Blueberrypie) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

"Princeton and Yale (which haven't established an international reputation yet)"

They have established international reputations, as do Harvard, Stanford, and MIT.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

"Why would MIT be considered better than HYPS in many parts of the world?" Other parts of the world are still developing industrially, so they place more emphasis on science and engineering (like China and India). Thus MIT is as prestigious as HYPS in many parts of the world.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

I thought it was HYPSMCPCD?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

I thought it was HYPSMCPCDSCREWTHEKKK=STUPID

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page