Good engineering schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Good engineering schools
By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

hi guys..im an international student and am looking to major in engineering.
which good engineering schools give atleast full tution scholarships to international students??
thanx

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

If you have the stats, you can try MIT which is need blind to internationals. Other than that, there aren't any full tuition scholarships schools for internationals, and if there was they wouldn't be very good.

By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

MIT is too competitive...nevertheless i'll try for it....
how about need based aid? is that available at good engineering schools? if ya, then which ones?

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

There is rarely any need based aid for internationals. Any money the universities set aside to aid internationals is in extreme competiton. What are your stats?

By Takanawajoe (Takanawajoe) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Rensselaer (RPI) in Troy, NY.

I got $76K merit money over 4 years and I graduated from high school in Tokyo with dual USA/French nationality. SAT was a little better than you and GPA was 3.5+ junior year. I am very good in physics (710 SAT II) and scored 5 in high IB so I placed out of first year courses at RPI.

You will fit in fine there.

By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

thanx guys...here are my stats...

SAT I - 590 V 710 M (retaking in oct)
SAT II - taking in nov (writing, physocs and IIC)
Rank - top 10%/85
GPA - 92% ...we dont have gpa's

EC's
-play drums
-school life guard
-senior prefect at high school
-editorial board member at school science magazine
-member of interact club (part of rotary club)
-organised 2 adventure treks (54km and 38km)
-volunteer at literary and cultural festivals
-participated in school plays (co-wriiten a one-act play)
-Nominated to represent Nepal at Global Youth Leaders Conference at Washington d.c. (didnt attend due to lack of finance)
-calligraphy writing
-hosted programs at school
-played basketball at school level
-participated in many quizzes, elocutions
-tutoring (unpaid)
-paper recycling

By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

im very good at physics too..got 96% in grade 12 board exams..

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Check out Northeastern and Boston University

By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Theres Alan again hyping Northeastern. A tier 3 school. You can do better. He hypes it in every single post. It is a good safety school. Look at Lafayette, Bucknell, RPI, Villanova, & Lehigh

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Lenk, you're back! I missed you. Sorry to burst your bubble again but Northeastern is no longer a "safety". Read this new article from the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2004/08/08/a_neighborly_bump/

Allow me to quote from the article:

"Even so, some local guidance counselors are annoyed that the type of student who could get into Northeastern a decade ago is often rejected today. Northeastern's acceptance rate this spring was 42 percent, down from roughly 80 percent a decade ago. That means today's applicants must be more competitive than their predecessors -- even with the boost for being a local applicant.

"We work hard to try to keep guidance counselors informed about how our applicant pool is changing," said Ronn Patrick, the university's dean of admissions. "While 100 kids of a certain profile may have been admitted 20 years ago, now we may only have room for two of them."

This is the truth and not "hype" as you claim. Nice try though. Getting into Northeastern is getting harder each year.

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Alan is so intyent on hyping NEU and he does so on EVERY ONE OF HIS POSTS, that he believes a local article quoting college officials is of importance. It's great you like your school but the constant hyping is way to much. Alan you said you were a recent grad, therefore NEU was a tier 3 when you entered, attended and graduated from, so please give it a rest. Saying good things about your school is fine but hyping it for every single student and for every occassion is over the top. If it does move frtom a tier 3 and it can really only go up thats good.

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

um...both Boston University and Northeastern are tied at 67 on the US News rankings for engineering. Im sure you love your school, Alan, but Lenk is right, Avinash_Agrawal can do much better.

Here's a better list:
UMich Ann Arbor, Northwestern, Purdue, Carnegie Mellon, U. of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign, Penn State, Duke, etc.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Lenk, If you look at my recent posts, I also recommend several other schools. For example, I just recommended Tufts for international relations.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

Simon, the problem with the schools you recommend to Avinash is that none of them give sizeable scholarships to internationals.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

Best Engineering Programs in the U.S.:

http://www.graduateshotline.com/ranks/index.html

Northeastern is #49 which is pretty good.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

that's not a valid site-US News has it much better

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

What's not valid about it? The rankings are based on a survey of thousands of engineering graduates. U.S. News doesn't even bother to survey students or alumni. I would say that the graduateshotline ranking is more valid. But if you compare the two there are many similarities in the rankings (the top ten schools are basically the same).

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

The validity of any college ranking system is anything but objective, and neither of the two are "valid" in my opinion.

I agree with Alan5 on this though: it's more important what students and alumni say than some 3rd party.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

U.S. News should dump the Peer assement survey and replace it with a survey that they send to alumni, employers, and graduate school admissions deans.

Another factor that could be added is the average GMAT, LSAT, GRE score of the graduates of each school.

Thoughts?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page