Top journalism schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Top journalism schools
By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

Everything is in the title. I'm interested in both print and broadcast journalism.
thanks

By Jenskate1 (Jenskate1) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

northwestern, and maybe syracuse...but northwestern's medill school of journalism is REALLY prestigious.

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

E. W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, esp. for broadcast journalism: www.scripps.ohiou.edu

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Come join me at Medill next year; you can't beat Northwestern's rockin' journalism school!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Nastasia, there is no doubt where the studies of Journalism at the undergraduate level is concerned. Northwestern is #1, and then you have the rest.

Other good schools:
Indiana University-Bloomington
New York University
Syracuse University
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
University of Missouri at Columbia
University of Wisconsin at Madison

Bonne chance...et vive la France!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Mizzou -- the University of Missouri at Columbia. The first and still the best.

Others:
Northwestern
Georgia
Syracuse

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I "forgot" to say that i'm not american...
I'm a french student coming to usa this year (september 12th exactly!)
I'm going to edmonds community college to follow a "high school completion" course and hopefully, to get my high school diploma.
I'm really interested in following my studies in the us. I'd like to find a great journalism school but accessible for an international student like me.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

alexandre: ;-) lol
As you're not american, i'd like to know how did you pay your studies in the US?

thanks for the universities, i'm going to look their websites ;-)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I paid for college the old fashioned way. My father paid for it! Mon pere ete DG a Paribas il y a plusieurs annees. J'ai eu de la chance et j'en suis tres reconnaissant. As tu les moyens de payer? Tes parents, sont-ils capables de et disposes a t'aider?

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Je n'ai pas les moyens de payer 40 000 dollars/an ca c'est clair. Je paye deja 12 500 euros pour mon année a Edmonds. Je comptais sur des bourses et travailler sur place mais bon peut etre que je reve un peu. En meme temps je pense qu'il y a des étudiants etrangers dans ces universités, et je doute qu'ils soient tous "riches".

Don't know if it's a good idea to speak in french here :-(

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I agree. Let us communicate in English. A good Sri Lankan friend of mine went to Northwestern on a scholarship. And you are absolutely correct. Many international students get some form of financial assistance. In the case of my friend, they paid some, not all of his tuition. I can give you his phone number if you like...or I can call him myself and get some information for you. He can maybe give you advice. And Kk may also give you some advice. He is, afterall, our Northwestern Mildcat expert! hehe

Another option are a couple of the schools I mentioned above, like Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina. They cost anywhere from $20,000-$25,000/year. Still expensive, but not as much as Northwestern.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

thanks ;-)
en fait je vais continuer en francais car je vais avoir un peu de mal en anglais pour ce que je veux dire sinon...
J'ai fait S (scientifique) au lycee en France. J'ai eu d'assez bonnes notes, bien que S soit reputé pour etre essez difficile tout de meme. Je parler couramment l'allemand, bientot couramment l'anglais avec mon année a Edmonds et j'apprend le russe. J'ai pratique l'equitation pendant 10 bonnes années avec competition.
Sachant que le bac americain est reputé pour etre bcp plus simple que le francais, j'espere avoir de bonnes notes cette année.
Parmis tout ce que j'ai dit, cela pourra t il m'aider a entrer dans une bonne universite? a decrocher une bourse?
je n'ai pas tout cité car c'est tout ce qui me vient a l'esprit pour le moment

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Tes langues vont beaucoups t'aides. Comment as tu passe ton bac? Si tu veut, je peut t'appele au telephone. Ce sera plus simple.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

I'd be happy to help! One Wildcat earned is a Wolverine lost!

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

je n'ai pas passé mon bac en France. j'aurais juste mon bac americain.
je prefere par mail
il est ds mon profil

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

what does "one wildcat earned is a woldverine lost" mean?
alexandre help lol

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Ok, mais pas ce soir. J'ai un rendez-vous avex un ami ce soir. On discutes demain.

Bonne nuit.

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

pas de probleme

By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

The best j-school in the nation

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

lol understood ;-)

By Woogiewilly25 (Woogiewilly25) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

University of Maryland....that's where I'm going for Journalism :o)

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Thekev: sorry, but Missouri's journalism school has nothing on Northwestern's.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

University of Maryland does have a very good school of Journalism.

If you're the kind of student who feels more comfortable at a liberal arts college, Washington and Lee University is the only Top 20 LAC with a journalism department. Students coming out of it do very well in life, and W&L seems like a great place to spend four years.

(Geeze, I feel like I : W&L :: Alexandre : University of Michigan)

By Tosh (Tosh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

but i don't understand everything in the american system. How many years do I have to study to become a journalist? Is undergraduate enough? Or should i continue in graduate studies?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

An undergraduate journalism degree with definitely get you a good job. However, if you want to continue your studies, look at the graduate programs at Missouri, Northwestern, USC, Georgia, Syracuse and especially Columbia. It's at the graduate school level where networking becomes crucial in getting a good (better) job due to alumni and other contacts.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

As someone with an undergrad degree in journalism who is currently a freelance journalist, I second Collegeparent - an undergrad degree is enough.

However, there is a caveat - make sure you choose an undergraduate program where there is ample opportunity to do "hands on" classwork. Some journalism programs are more theoretical in nature and don't give you a chance to fine tune your actual writing skills in a real world sense.

The other important thing to look at in comparing journalism programs is the availability of internships---getting a job in journalism requires you to have a portfolio (or in the case of broadcast, a reel) of actual published work - make sure you attend a school where you will have ample opportunities to get that.

Also pay close attention to the facilities available - if you are interested in broadcast journalism, you need a school where you can actually spend time in a production studio. Some schools are really lacking when it comes to facilities for broadcast students.

Finally, in comparing programs, look for schools that have a large and active alumni group actually practicing journalism -- that is usually a sign that the school does a good job of giving its grads real world skills.

The schools I personally would consider the best for providing all of the above as well as tops for broadcast journalism: Northwestern, Syracuse, University of Southern Calif.

The above schools also happen to have the largest number of international students. Good luck.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Thanks, Carolyn for the ditto. To your list of Northwestern, Syracuse and USC, I would most definitely add University of Missouri. Not only was it the first journalism school in the country, but it is also considered the best one in the US for undergrads (this from Rupps Reports; sorry all you Northwestern fans) and its education is almost entirely hands-on in excellent facilities. The radio station, TV station and local newspaper in Columbia, Missouri (home of U Mo. aka Mizzou) are all student-run and -supported, for the most part. Faculty act as editors and producers, but students are on-air for both the radio & TV courses -- and they are all an integral part of the editorial staff (writers, copyeditors, reporters, photographers, layout, production crew, etc.) for the newspaper and the Sunday supplement magazine. In addition, the number of top broadcasting, newspaper and corporate communications companies interviewing and hiring the Mizzou graduates is most impressive. The alumni network is equally so, with many preferring to hire Mizzou grads over those from other programs. Also, the Journalism School is now building a new huge new addition to one of its classroom buildings and renovating another to accommodate the demand on its facilities, further upgrading them to state-of-the-art. This is all quite exceptional for a public state university (the other three Carolyn recommends are private institutions) with strong national alumni support. I speak from experience since I know and have worked with many alums from the Mizzou J-School.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Ditto to you again Collegeparent. Mizzou is excellent and should be on every aspiring journalist's list.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

"....Missouri. Not only was it the first journalism school in the country,"

Whoa, that whole four years must have been something. LOL

Columbia University School of Journalism (1912)
Missouri School of Journalism (1908)

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Wow that is crazy. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has one of the best j-schools in the country. Do your research and know it. It also has it's own student run newspaper (much like every other school) and a television news show called Carolina Week which is broadcasted all throughout Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham. There are many anchors on the news around the country who call Carolina their home as well as Missouri, or Syracuse. And the majority of those broadcasters who have their masters degrees have their bachelors in something other than journalism. If you were to research a lot of the job requirements in a lot of the local news stations, they usually say "bachelors degree required, three years experience" It's all about experience and I suggest you go to a school that may provide you with the best experience. There are people in the broadcasting/printing field that never even went to the j-school ivy of Northwestern or the others and still managed to come out on top. It's what you make of it.

With that said, my main point is weigh your options and definitely do your research; you may find out that there are many other great journalism schools other than those listed. UNC Chapel Hill is one of them. University of Florida is another, as well as Emerson and Boston Univ. to the north.

Signing off, YoDisIsTim.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

By the way, yes, I will be a UNC journalism student and might I mention, that the Carolina Connections I already made are some of the best in the country.

Best of luck to you and everybody else at their j-schools. In the end, it really doesn't matter which school you came from, but how much talent and integrity you have.

Signing off again, YoDisIsTim

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

KK19131 -- Missouri's journalism school was started as both undergraduate and graduate. Columbia's was and is only at the graduate level. Yes, four years (of being an undergraduate?) does make a difference.

By Langegger (Langegger) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I've heard from the chair of a journalism department that Ohio's program is beset with inter-faculty turmoil, and it was stronly suggested not to apply there.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Collegeparent- do you have any info on finaid for out of state students? I know Missou has a few guaranteed merit scholarships they award for certain stats, but I haven't heard if they're generous with need based aid for out of staters.I would imagine that the aid situation for the J school is competitive at best.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Kissy -- the best thing to do is contact either the Journalism School directly with your question or the Admissions & Financial Aid office. Because the journalism school is so respected and highly regarded, it gets most of its students from out-of-state, but through the generosity of the J-school alums, there may be scholarship opportunities available. Again, you need to contact the powers-that-be directly. Good luck.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Yes, well, Northwestern has a large amount of need based aid, and unlike Missouri, is not a state school, thus, state of residence is irrelevant.

Here's something interesting:

http://www.medill.nwu.edu/inside/2004/hearsttitle

By Sac (Sac) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

If you want to use your undergraduate years to develop some background in a specific type of reporting -- science, economics, languages, the arts, etc. -- then a graduate school program makes sense. Besides Columbia, another excellent graduate-only program that is hands on and turns out working journalists in print, radio, and television, is UC Berkeley.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

I've been looking @ CBS, WB, NBC, UPN and FOX affiliates across the country (for broadcasting anchors) and the list of schools are so diverse. There is not one school that dominates the broadcast news industry nationwide. However, there may be a high number of Northwestern and Mizzou grads in the midwest, Florida grads in the south and Emerson in the north. It all depends on your contacts and location, which will change.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

LOL, well even though we aren't winners like Northwestern, I have to add that Carolina is on the list of the Northwestern Student.

I have to say, the rankings speak for itself. Here's a little on Carolina,
http://www.jomc.unc.edu/jomcataglance/faqs.html

By Collegebound05 (Collegebound05) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

NORTHWESTERNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Oh yeah! Hail To Purple!!!!!! Go U Northwestern!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page